The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

I've always been jealous of my mum's rangemaster — I love that it's got a roasting rack built into the door, although I wouldn't bet that she hasn't lost/destroyed/consigned it to the garage, like the plate warming rack, the wok burner attachment, and the bloody griddle that she left propped up against a wall till it was practically rusted through.

• Moderators

So. I'm doing a big leg of lamb, a pie for the vegetarians (assorted veg, puff pastry, peynir cheese and potatoes) and then other stuff. Parsnips have been explicitly requested, so we'll have them. Definitely carrots... Haven't decided what else yet.

Am thinking about not putting potato in the pie, and then doing dauphinoise for everyone instead of roast potatoes.

And want to come up with some other interesting bits to go, generally. Will definitely be sneaking chorizo in somewhere.

French onion soup for starter (again, a request), and dessert will be at my mum's house so not something I have concerned myself with other than requesting a big wedge of delice de bougoigne for the cheese plate.

(And yeah, I love all the peripherals on the cooker. The rack on the door is tremendous, well excited to use the plate warmer, and went to the Chinese supermarket at the weekend to get a proper wok which I have now seasoned and it is ready to go...)

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Parsnips have been explicitly requested, so we'll have them. Definitely carrots... Haven't decided what else yet.

doing dauphinoise for everyone instead of roast potatoes.

Parsnips with a honey glaze?

In regards to dauph instead of roasts... I'll just pretend you said 'as well as'.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

So. I'm doing a big leg of lamb, a pie for the vegetarians (assorted veg, puff pastry, peynir cheese and potatoes) and then other stuff. Parsnips have been explicitly requested, so we'll have them. Definitely carrots... Haven't decided what else yet.

Am thinking about not putting potato in the pie, and then doing dauphinoise for everyone instead of roast potatoes.

And want to come up with some other interesting bits to go, generally. Will definitely be sneaking chorizo in somewhere.

French onion soup for starter (again, a request), and dessert will be at my mum's house so not something I have concerned myself with other than requesting a big wedge of delice de bougoigne for the cheese plate.

(And yeah, I love all the peripherals on the cooker. The rack on the door is tremendous, well excited to use the plate warmer, and went to the Chinese supermarket at the weekend to get a proper wok which I have now seasoned and it is ready to go...)

What time do you want me round?

• Paid Members

I substituted chorizo into a classic sprouts,bacon and chestnut recipe last year and it was wonderful. We also had our annual Christmas eve sausage roll competition (At least 3 of the family make a batch of sausage rolls each to line the stomach before christmas eve drinking) and chorizo found its way into them as well. CHORIZO!!!! 

• Paid Members

Welcome to another thrilling edition of Cooking With Gus Mears .

This week, I'll be drifting towards an enormous coronary through PORK BELLY-ASIAN STYLE. I'm back from a thrilling trip to butchers, where I bought unnecessary levels of meat. The top of it still has a tit on it. Look at the size or the meat as compared to my elaborate fork and garlic monuments.

20161210_114850.jpg

It's time to get BIZAYE. I'm going to make a garlic, soy and five spice marinade and lather that bad boy up. Also going to score that skin and get a salting.

Err we fookin' go lad's! The meat is in the fridge. I repeat. The meat is in the fridge.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

MARINADE UPDATE

My kitchen is rich with the scent of garlic, 5 spice and pig arse. Marvellous

20161210_144210.jpg

Right. This fucker is going in at about 1530 for three and a bit hours. Sloth cooking, keeping it slow. Stay frosty.

I've decided on veg and have sent minions to the supermarket. Going for cabbage, charred leeks, candied apples and lemon carrots to really cut through that sweet, sweet lard.

Plex' it's my all time favourite cut of meat too. Narrowly up on duck breast.