The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Fair enough Thunderplex, you're the doyen of most cooking stuff on here mind.

Ā 

Did something vaguely similar to that in the end Keith (flavour wise anyway). Wrapped the cod in foil after seasoning along with half a lemon, basilĀ and plenty of olive oil and then pan fried garlic and onions until translucent, added lots of red peppers, then tomatoes and finally black and green olives. Cooked them down for about 5 minutes before adding salt, pepper and paprika. Finally put in a handful of capers.

Ā 

Absolutely delicious meal and I love 'freestyling' with cooking for lack of a better term. You just know those favours are going to work together unless you fuck it up royally. TasteĀ of the Med on a plate and legit took about 20 minutes.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

It's certainly the most fun way to do things. Closest thing I compare it to is when I'm improvising on the ol' Johanna. Cooking is fun if you try.

Ā 

I'll tell you what I'm really looking forward to. Had a few refreshing beer-based beverages in Bath last night, which gives me the chance to go to Green Park Market today. It's a Bobby Dazzler. Honestly. Featured on Nigel Slater's Lonely Supppers and all.

Ā 

Overpriced, but just some wonderful local produce there to the extent that I occasionally get a hungover tear in the eye like racist Uncle John when he hears Rule Brittania or watches an episode of Sickness and in Health on his VHS player.

Ā 

Outstanding fish and West Country cheese. Plus my favourite store, some mad old badger entirely dressed in tweed who sells game. Just the best pigeon, partridge and venison you ever did see. Seriously, I'm not being paid to advertise them, but get the fuck down there if you get a chance. I'm going to eat enough pigeon to dramatically reduce the global population.

Ā 

I am legitimately excited to cook today. I'm going to put my trousers on, have a cup of tea, go for a catastrophic shit and buy so much good quality food that I need to sell my willy to the highest bidder.

Ā 

Saturdays are bloody marvelous sometimes.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I've been cooking lamb ribs at my last few barbecues, because they taste even better than pork ribs. Been experimenting with all sorts of seasonings, but the best ones so far have been simple All-Purpose Seasoning by itself, or smoked paprika with oregano and olive oil marinade.

• Paid Members

It's certainly the most fun way to do things. Closest thing I compare it to is when I'm improvising on the ol' Johanna. Cooking is fun if you try.

Ā 

I'll tell you what I'm really looking forward to. Had a few refreshing beer-based beverages in Bath last night, which gives me the chance to go to Green Park Market today. It's a Bobby Dazzler. Honestly. Featured on Nigel Slater's Lonely Supppers and all.

Ā 

Overpriced, but just some wonderful local produce there to the extent that I occasionally get a hungover tear in the eye like racist Uncle John when he hears Rule Brittania or watches an episode of Sickness and in Health on his VHS player.

Ā 

Outstanding fish and West Country cheese. Plus my favourite store, some mad old badger entirely dressed in tweed who sells game. Just the best pigeon, partridge and venison you ever did see. Seriously, I'm not being paid to advertise them, but get the fuck down there if you get a chance. I'm going to eat enough pigeon to dramatically reduce the global population.

Ā 

I am legitimately excited to cook today. I'm going to put my trousers on, have a cup of tea, go for a catastrophic shit and buy so much good quality food that I need to sell my willy to the highest bidder.

Ā 

Saturdays are bloody marvelous sometimes.

Ā 

I've been here 4 years and I'm still yet to take the finer things in Bath in on a Saturday like the Green Park Market properly. Gonna have to wait for pay day and take a trip, see if it can reinvigorate my culinary talent.Ā 

• Paid Members

Gus: Sounds like an excelent place. Yes, more expensive but that kind of stuff pays for itself on the tongue. You sold me at West Country cheeses. Good cheese, a fresh loaf and crunchy pickled onions and I'm set for life.

Ā 

Keith: did some cracking wedges the other week. Went a bit Marco and crumbled up a know chicken stock cube into the oil before drizzling. Tasted like really good roast chicken crisps in wedge form.

Ā 

Carbomb: discovered Lamb ribs at Longsight Asda at the begining of summer. They have a halal butchers in there. Reasonably priced so I gave them a go. Just wonderful. Tasty as hell and not as greasy as I thought they'd be. Smoked for 4 hours with a simple lemon and coriander marinade. Bliss.

• Paid Members

Shy Dad, can't recommend it enough. If you can't be arsed to cook, they do enough ready made food that you can get your fill. Seem to recall some cress and cheese tartlets that were particularly good.

Ā 

You're right about the local cheeses, Plex. One of the best things in the area. If anyone happens to be in the South West during Spring/Summer you have to get to the Bath and West Show. They have two/three enormous tents full of local cheese, all of which you can try. Wyfe of Bath blue was a good find this year.

Finished my 7mile walk this morning and fancied a soup to warm me up for lunch, made a Tomato Mixed Bean and Sausage soup. Made a tomato soup. Simmered tinned tomatoes,onion, garlic, carrot and a veggie stock cube till the veg was tender and pureed with a stick blender till smooth and added a touch of sweetener and white wine vinegar then added a can of mixed beans and some cooked sliced lean sausages from my local butcher.

Ā 

Was delicious!Ā 

• Paid Members

Here's one for you. If i'm slow cooking a fatty meat and want to get rid of the fat from the juices, how do I do that? Currently skimming it off the top but wondered if there was a better way.