The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Who does Sous Vide on here? Onyx2, I am sure you've mentioned it in the past.

I've got a home brew system that can keep water a stable temperature so I'm think of giving it a go.

Many times. It's the only way to do steak now. Here's a ridiculously detailed guide from Kenji, who knows his stuff.

Can your kit hold water between 50 - 60°?

It should be able to hold it at any temperature from what I can tell. It's a grainfather so is a decent bit of kit for making beer.

Could I get a pre vacuum sealed piece of meat and chuck it in the water or do I need to do anything to it before it's sealed? I don't have a vacuum sealed but there's a deli nearby that does nice steaks from a local farm that he sells vacuum packed.

• Awards Moderator

Could I get a pre vacuum sealed piece of meat and chuck it in the water or do I need to do anything to it before it's sealed? I don't have a vacuum sealed but there's a deli nearby that does nice steaks from a local farm that he sells vacuum packed.

Has to be food grade plastic. Some break down and release nasty stuff during cooking. It's probably safe from there. The only thing you might want to do is add flavourings before sealing (not a deal breaker). I know some people have a lot of success with ziploc bags, using a straw to suck out the air before sealing.

• Paid Members

Has to be food grade plastic. Some break down and release nasty stuff during cooking. It's probably safe from there. The only thing you might want to do is add flavourings before sealing (not a deal breaker). I know some people have a lot of success with ziploc bags, using a straw to suck out the air before sealing.

Any plastic bag you can use the straw trick with its good

• 2 months later...
  • Awards Moderator

Spiralising: courgetti is the poster boy. Good with chicken and fish, or in bolognese.

Great for salads too. Carrot and beetroot go really well, though wear rubber gloves for the bloody beets.

Turn it on it's head and use root veg. Spiralise potato and deep fry. Spiralise parsnip and sweet potato and roast on a high heat, dusting with cumin and chilli.

Really, it's just like grating with a fun shape.

• Paid Members

I own a spiraliser, but just hate the amount of waste it produces. Sweet potato and cumin is ace though, you're right. I always put it on sweet potato fries when I make them with a bit of salt and pepper.

I love it when this thread gets bumped. Haven't cooked a massive amount outside of my comfort zone recently, but did hand make all of the food for a BBQ last month, which was rewarding. Spent an outrageous amount on raw prawns, marinaded them in lime juice, ginger, chilli, sugar, salt and bay leaves before skewering. They were immense. Also did halloumi and raw veg skewers marinaded in olive oil, garlic and bay leaves and the usual homemade burgers and chickens.

I weep for the passing of BBQ season. I adore using the Weber.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Started with a cheap oblong kettle bbq using indirect heat (lit coals on one side, meat on the other). Wanted better heat control so progressed to a Weber 1 touch. Managed to keep at 300f for about 5 hours with little messing. Treated myself to a ProQ in May. It's a bullet water smoker that can keep temps for about 15 hours, perfect for massive chunks of pork., brisket and St Louis's. All about the air flow to control the heat. Try with something cheap first and chickens/baby back ribs, then if you like it (and you will), move on to a longer burning setup.

• Moderators

Cooking related.. We are getting a new kitchen fitted. Due to the layout and size of the room, we have determined that we will get best use of space with a 90-100cm wide range cooker. Does anyone have any experience / tips to help with this? Are Smeg / Rangemaster all that or are you just buying a name? I've only read bad things about customer service for Smeg. What brands are good?

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Awards Moderator

There's not a lot to go wrong on a standard range. Assuming an electric oven / gas hob the main things that go are the elements and the oven lights which are all easily replaced.

If you want to shop by brand then go for Neff or Miele. Miele is gold standard with immaculate customer service.

Personally I'd buy budget and bank the extra cash on other remodeling costs like worktop or tiling.

• Moderators

Cool, thanks bud. I think miele are fantastic, generally and would always consider them a top brand. My wife is keen to have one that looks all fancy pants as it will be such a large feature of the room, and the rangemaster does look great, let's face it.

I think we'll see what the total costs come out looking like once we've chosen our granite and cabinets, but I think we'd probably go for that if it's still in budget.

Appreciate the advice!

In other news, I bought a stove top waffle iron yesterday. Fucking great stuff. Nice and small so it doesn't take up loads of room like an electric one would and only £16 on Amazon!

• Paid Members
In other news, I bought a stove top waffle iron yesterday. Fucking great stuff. Nice and small so it doesn't take up loads of room like an electric one would and only £16 on Amazon!

In 3 weeks that'll be in the cupboard next to your doughnut maker, ice cream machine & Hulk Hogan ultimate grill.