The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Going to make a puff pastry pie for the veg main, bellend. Potato, spinach, mushroom, cheese, etc.

Edit: I was thinking if I add potato in the pie, then I can just make the roasties with fat, only for the meat eaters..

That would be harsh man, the pie sounds nice but I'd feel a bit overlooked if I couldn't eat the roast potatoes and full compliment of side veg like everyone else.

• Paid Members

My gran used to call lesbians Lebanese.

Not been to a Lebanese one myself, I have a friend who goes into ethnic restraunts and just asks them to feed him to a set value. He says he gets an excellent selection whenever he does this. Must give it a go sometime.

• Paid Members

No such thing as a pickled gherkin as, by definition, a gherkin is already pickled (i.e. a pickled cucumber is a gherkin).

I did see a video the other day of some place in the US doing a gherkin spiral kebab thing. Rolling it in batter then deep frying it. Came out looking like tepanyaki on a skewer.

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members

Slices of pickle dipped in flour and deep fried are awesome. Known as pickle chips in the states. Must admit I used them mostly in sandwiches as more of a condiment than a garnish.

• Awards Moderator

Anyone got any cooking uses for pickled gherkins outside of as a garnish?

Diced in mayo for poor man's tartare sauce. They're great folded into a stroganoff too. The juice from the jar makes an excellent brine for chicken breasts.

Very much looking forward to going to a Lebanese restaurant this weekend for the first time. I love going to places that serve what I simply never cook. Any advice on what I should order?

Do what this arsehole I used to know did and regardless of the menu, just say I'm English so I want an English steak before dismissing everything on the menu as foreign muck.

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Moderators

Very much looking forward to going to a Lebanese restaurant this weekend for the first time. I love going to places that serve what I simply never cook. Any advice on what I should order?

Do what this arsehole I used to know did and regardless of the menu, just say I'm English so I want an English steak before dismissing everything on the menu as foreign muck.

Ha! With pointing at things too?