The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Nothing quite like stuffing a good bird over the festive period.  What's your method? I've ordered my turkey from the butchers for Christmas. I start by loosening the skin, making thyme butter before rubbing that all over the gap between skin and meat. Then slicing a bunch of oranges thinly and putting them in the same gap.

After this, I season with salt, pepper and rapeseed oil before wrapping the whole job with a shit load of bacon. Finally, I get my hand up the arse crack with orange, lemon and herbs before bonging it in the oven for a couple of hours (with frequent basting). I do stuffing separately because I just can't get appropriate amounts in the crevice.

It's both delicious and not dry. Although if I had my way, I'd be cooking goose every year (it's a significantly nicer meat). Unfortunately, I have relatives who have been incredibly selfish and produced sprogs, so I have to do a turkey in order to feed all of the buggers. 

Edited by Gus Mears

I've recently discovered the joy of muffin tin egg cups where you basically line the bottom of muffin tins with bacon, crack an egg in, cover with grated cheese and whack 'em in the oven. Leave 'em in for 8 mins or so for a soft yolk or 15 mins or so for hard. I chuck the hard boiled ones in the fridge so I've got something to grab incase I haven't got time for breakfast.

I tried the same thing with salmon instead of bacon and it went a bit slimy. Anybody got any other suggestions I can try for fillings? Thought about trying something Mexican- peppers, jalepenos maybe?

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members

Got a ftree range turkey last year from Aldi. Better than the free range ones from Tesco and Asda I had in the previous years. I stuff the neck end, and just put some seasoning, grated onion and sage up its arsehole. I do a very basic sage and onion stuffing. Simmer an onion in chicken stock with dried sage until its soft, the. Stir in stale bread cut into 2cm chunks-I use the crust for this and the insides for bread sauce. Add enough till it's absorbed, but still moist-too dry it will absorb too much turkey juice.

Cool before stuffing. Should be obvious but I know one dozy twat who did it the night before with hot stuffing and fucked the turkey up.

I slather on a good coat of soft butter then dress with good streaky smoked bacon. The butter stops the bacon from sticking to the turkey, and is all for me when crispy.

Pre heat the oven full blast for 10 minutes, slap the bastard in on the bottom-middle shelf, then turn the oven down to 4 after 15 minutes. I use 2 rooted probes, on for the breast, on for the thigh. Aim is breast 160 and thigh 175. Using both, I know if I have to put a bit of foil on certain parts that are cooking too quickly.

Or do it the Fanny way.

https://youtu.be/b1fIj6_lDZ8

Edited by Thunderplex

• Paid Members

That's a bloody good effort Thunder. It's got to be the next step in my cooking escapades, cooking a Christmas Turkey.

I've never had to do it as we're always invited to my mums, and she is a belting cook.

Oh and Cobra, they sound amazing. I suppose you are limited with what you can cook within 8 mins. Bacon, cheese and egg muffins though, sounds great.

• Moderators

That looks amazing. My new kitchen is finally finished! I cooked in it for the first time yesterday. Nothing fancy, just meatballs. But I love it! Gonna get to know this oven properly over the next couple weeks before the main event.

The vegetarians have said they don't want the roast potatoes so I have a green light to just cook them in fat.

• Awards Moderator

My new kitchen is finally finished! I cooked in it for the first time yesterday. Nothing fancy, just meatballs. But I love it! Gonna get to know this oven properly over the next couple weeks before the main event.

What make did you buy in the end?

The vegetarians have said they don't want the roast potatoes

What a soulless existence *shakes head*

• Paid Members

That sounds brilliant Onyx. I'm really keen on doing a few new things over Christmas and actually, one nice thing about being in charge of the family Christmas roast, is that I can in that context.

Did a roast pork loin yesterday and it was bloody lovely. Salted and scored the skin before putting int he fridge for a couple of hours. Then made incisions across the meat and stuffed them with garlic. Bunged it onto a bed of onions and Normandy Cider before cooking on high for 25 and low for an hour or so. 

Also tried out some candied apples to go with it (in addition to the standard veg like cabbage, leeks etc). Caster sugar and water in a pan, cook the sliced apples down in it before adding 5 spice, cinnamon and salt until they start to go very slightly crispy. Wonderful. So good I'll probably do it with the turkey although it goes better with pork. It just tasted like Christmas somehow. 

• Paid Members

What is your menu, Chest? You've got the roast potato philistines, haven't you?

Hugely jealous of the Rangemaster. A truly wonderful oven to cook in and I miss having one. Although the one advantage with cooking at Gran's Christmas day is the fact that I can use her superb double oven with 5-burners and separate plate warming draw.