The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

In other news, I bought a stove top waffle iron yesterday. Fucking great stuff. Nice and small so it doesn't take up loads of room like an electric one would and only £16 on Amazon!

In 3 weeks that'll be in the cupboard next to your doughnut maker, ice cream machine & Hulk Hogan ultimate grill.
I had the hulk hogan ultimate grill, quite good until it set on fire. Edited by Thunderplex

Cooking related.. We are getting a new kitchen fitted. Due to the layout and size of the room, we have determined that we will get best use of space with a 90-100cm wide range cooker. Does anyone have any experience / tips to help with this? Are Smeg / Rangemaster all that or are you just buying a name? I've only read bad things about customer service for Smeg. What brands are good?

We've had a Rangemaster for about 6 months and we love it. Really good quality and well worth the money we paid for it. We use both ovens at the same time for Sunday roasts and it makes life so much easier. Also, the wok ring gets more use than anything else. Not had to deal with the customer service side of things with Rangemaster directly but Currys who delivered it off were a complete nightmare.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Awards Moderator

Cool, thanks bud. I think miele are fantastic, generally and would always consider them a top brand. My wife is keen to have one that looks all fancy pants as it will be such a large feature of the room, and the rangemaster does look great, let's face it.

I think we'll see what the total costs come out looking like once we've chosen our granite and cabinets, but I think we'd probably go for that if it's still in budget.

If you have a spare half hour go visit the Miele showroom off Oxford Circus. Incredible sums of money on display. Some of the installations are as much as HR Owen's down the road.

• Awards Moderator

Are there any decent deals on air fryers at the minute? the type what you can cook fresh chips in. Not had homemade chips in forever as my deep fat fryer stinks the house out even when cleaned and with fresh oil in it

That's why I keep mine in the garage. Hang on for Black Friday for an air Fryer if you can, there's bound to be deals.

• Paid Members

Are there any decent deals on air fryers at the minute? the type what you can cook fresh chips in. Not had homemade chips in forever as my deep fat fryer stinks the house out even when cleaned and with fresh oil in it

Argos are selling Halo's at the moment on a deal. Supposed to be fairly decent

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm feeling unreasonably sorry for myself because my holiday is over, I'm unable to visit any friends this evening and I'm poor due to said holiday, so I'm engaging in food therapy and running down my freezer.

It's cold where I am, so going to do a mushroom and blue cheese risotto, using rosemary and thyme as the main herbs. Also going to do some garlic and herb chicken thighs for added protein along with a few calabrese and oven roasted cherry tomatoes for added veg content.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Your!

On a slight health Kick, so had courgettie carbonara for tea. Had it last week but the courgettie really watered the sauce down. Salted and pressed it this week, and it was not watery in the slightest, just way too salty. Must rinse it off next weeek.

• Paid Members

I think I've turned the corner of courgette, I still don't adore it, but have actually had some dishes with it in recently that make me think it's not the slightly less shonky cousin of aubergine.

Got some cod loins out tonight (got an absolute ton of these on reduction recently), any bright ideas always appreciated (particularly from you 'Plex), but thinking I'll probably just do them simply with some olives and sundried tomatoes at present.

Boston spoiled me for seafood though. Had a sea bass tartare with truffles and it was one of the best starters I have ever had. This in addition to the bounty of delicious crab, lobster and scallops you seem to get everywhere. Loved it!

Edited by Gus Mears