The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Awards Moderator

Chips and egg done well is much harder than so called exotics like curries and the like.

You're not that wrong. Despite being a pretty good amateur cook, I am absolutely hopeless at frying eggs. I always end up spilling them after I have cracked them. Generally ends up looking like I have just spaffed on my T-shirt.

Crack them into a cup or mug first. Slowly pour this into the pan.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I'm thinks of getting a bullet smoker. Got my eyes on the ProQ Frontier Elite, and the Weber Smokey Mountain. Had a few good smokes from my beloved Weber Kettle, but I want something with less maintenance that I can leave overnight. Any of you bunch got one of these, and if so, any thoughts either way would be welcome.

• Paid Members

I don't own a smoker, but I would always recommend a Weber if the cost mark-up isn't too prohibitive. Got a Weber Spirit BBQ a few years ago and it really is a sterling piece of kit and I've never had any issue with it. What are you looking at smoking in it, out of interest?

• Paid Members

Who does Sous Vide on here? Onyx2, I am sure you've mentioned it in the past.

I've got a home brew system that can keep water a stable temperature so I'm think of giving it a go.

• Paid Members

I don't own a smoker, but I would always recommend a Weber if the cost mark-up isn't too prohibitive. Got a Weber Spirit BBQ a few years ago and it really is a sterling piece of kit and I've never had any issue with it. What are you looking at smoking in it, out of interest?

The usual subjects really, ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, and when they come out again, a whole Turkey. Well be doing some cold smoking too. I love Weber, but the price difference is over £100.

• Paid Members

Not smoked, but lamb (particularly a shoulder) slow-cooked for six hours with cumin and garlic cloves is gorgeous. Flavour overload, and the meat just falls off the bone.

• Paid Members

Have you smoked a leg of lamb?

Yeah, did my lungs in for weeks.

I'm firing up the BBQ today. Lime and ginger marinaded prawns. Cannae go wrong, I tell you. The Weber really does them brilliantly, I've sacked off burgers and sausages and am doing more seafood on it, lovely.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Not smoked, but lamb (particularly a shoulder) slow-cooked for six hours with cumin and garlic cloves is gorgeous. Flavour overload, and the meat just falls off the bone.

This in an actual slow cooker? Got a recipe?

• Paid Members

You don't really need a slow cooker for slow cooked lamb, i just make slashes in the skin of the lamb, put full or half cloves of garlic in the holes, throw a few sprigs of rosemary on the top, salt, pepper then a glug of wine in the tray. Pre-heat the oven on full whack for about 20 minutes, throw the lamb in and drop the heat to gas mark 2 1/2. Come back in 6 hours and munch.

• Paid Members

This in an actual slow cooker? Got a recipe?
As Thunderplex says. I just use the oven, following my mum's recipes. Usually do the usual garlic and rosemary thing, but tried the cumin recipe a few months ago and it was lovely. Will try and dig out the recipe and post it.

EDIT: Actually my mum's recipe differs from Thunderplex's slightly. Make slashes, but instead of whole cloves, you stuff them with a mixture of crushed garlic and butter, no wine either.

Edited by Carbomb