The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Awards Moderator

Who does Sous Vide on here? Onyx2, I am sure you've mentioned it in the past.

I've got a home brew system that can keep water a stable temperature so I'm think of giving it a go.

Many times. It's the only way to do steak now. Here's a ridiculously detailed guide from Kenji, who knows his stuff.

Can your kit hold water between 50 - 60°?

• Paid Members

Chicken marinades/flavourings that are slightly out the norm? I roast a chicken every other day and take half into work along with veg and rice, but I'm getting bored of my usual lemon/olive oil, garlic/oil and cumin/5spice rubs. Any new ideas would be appreciated.

• Paid Members

Italian salad dressing. Saw it on an American cookery show about 10 years ago and it tastes bloody excellent, just pour it over the raw chicken and leave it overnight. Fruit juice is a good marinade too, apple juice with a tablespoon of cider vinager and salt and pepper is awesome, nice on pork too.

Edited by Thunderplex

My go to is a tsp of paprika, garlic powder, chilli flakes, dried coriander and some salt & pepper. Bit of oil to make it into a paste then lemon juice to make it whatever consistency you like. Two chicken breasts in there, get them coated and leave them for how ever long you fancy or just stick them straight in the oven. 

• Awards Moderator

A quick pan-global tour:

Cover it in tikka paste mixed with yoghurt

Pineapple juice and balsamic vinegar for sweet and sour

Peanut butter and soy sauce / fish sauce for satay

Or leave the chicken plain and try these dips / sauces:

Mix mayo, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and a little grated Parmesan for a cracking Caesar style sauce

Cumin, mayo and lemon juice

Houmous and hot sauce

Another thing an old friend of mine used to do was mix packet soup (eg minestrone) with oil as a marinade for chicken. Daft but brilliant.

You could also try poaching the chicken instead. Very different flavour. Nigella has the best poaching recipes.

• Paid Members

I've taken to using mustard as a base for Grilled Cheese Sandwiches rather than Butter. It seems to give such a better smoky flavour alongside some good cheese and onion, brush the outside of the bread with a little oil and then let it sit in a frying pan rather than on a grill or in a toastie maker. Seems to be less moisture than melting butter which gives it an even better crisp on the inside.

Can't work out if it was here that told me to do this or not but if so, major props on making student budget food even more appetising.  

• Paid Members

A bit of a boring marinade in terms of being "out there", but it does taste awesome: lime juice, black pepper and honey. My family being Mauritian, we tend to use crushed garlic & ginger in a lot of things, so I'd say maybe you could add some crushed garlic in there too.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Put lamb shoulder in slow cooker with lamb stock, red wine, onion, mixed herbs and pepper. Left it for 5 or 6 hours turning occasionally.

It was beautiful, absolutely fell apart. Bone just peeled out.

Bit of mash and mint sauce.

• Paid Members

Sounds brilliant. Personally I love mint sauce. Slow cookers are awesome.

One of the best slow cooker meals I ever did was ox cheek. Can't remember exactly what I put in the sauce, but I know I put in some Dunn's River All-Purpose Seasoning, which is amazing stuff.

• Paid Members

Ox cheek is sublime when slow cooked in a red wine/balsamic mix with pepper and bay leaves. It just needs the cooking time, not much else.

Thank you for the various chicken marinades, I'll give a few of them a go in the coming weeks.

• Paid Members

I've taken to using mustard as a base for Grilled Cheese Sandwiches rather than Butter. It seems to give such a better smoky flavour alongside some good cheese and onion, brush the outside of the bread with a little oil and then let it sit in a frying pan rather than on a grill or in a toastie maker. Seems to be less moisture than melting butter which gives it an even better crisp on the inside.

Can't work out if it was here that told me to do this or not but if so, major props on making student budget food even more appetising.

You want to use mayo on the outside rather then butter or oil. That gives the best colour / crunch IMO as weird as it sounds

• Paid Members

You want to use mayo on the outside rather then butter or oil. That gives the best colour / crunch IMO as weird as it sounds

Mayo on the outside of a toasty is possibly the most fucking vile thing I have ever heard of.

But curiosity got the better of me.

It's quite nice. I prefer butter, but it's a nice enough alternative. Might try a mustard/Mayo combo tomorrow.