The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

I bought a shitload of goat's cheese (like 5 packs) because the price was massively reduced. I assumed it was soft goat's cheese (which I love) but its the hard stuff (which I don't know that well), what shall I do with it? Do you use it like feta? All the recipes I can find are for the soft stuff.

• Paid Members

I've made a batch of Paczki, assuming I've spelt that correct.

Marvellous stuff. I have no idea how close they are to what they should be as the shop was sold out, but I don't care as they taste class.

My jalbi was less successful, straight in the bin :(

I want to try making pastrami but the recipe I found requires curing salt, but they don't sell it in Tesco it seems. Does anybody know where to get some? Or would anybody be able to suggest an alternative?

Are you doing the covering it in salt then chucking it in the oven wrapped in tin-foil method or brining it before rubbing it in spice and steaming it?

• Paid Members

Really pleased with how my vindaloo turned out considering that I was popping my curry cherry and went off-piste with the recipe. Tasted better than the one from the local Indian and cost about £10 less. My innards are already screaming bloody murder though.

I want to try making pastrami but the recipe I found requires curing salt, but they don't sell it in Tesco it seems. Does anybody know where to get some? Or would anybody be able to suggest an alternative?

Are you doing the covering it in salt then chucking it in the oven wrapped in tin-foil method or brining it before rubbing it in spice and steaming it?

I'm brining it and then chucking it in the oven wrapped in tin foil. It's actually in the fridge brining right now, but I'm trying it without the curing salt at the moment and I'm worried it'll just turn out shit.

• Paid Members

Chicken pilau in it tonight. Sliced some thighs, sautéed in the cooker with onion and garlic, threw in cumin seeds, coriander seeds, tumeric, garam masala, cassia bark, bay leaf and cardamom pods, fried till I got that smell, bunged in a cup of rinced basmati, a quick stir then in with a cup of water. Lid on, built pressure, 4 minute cook, 10 minute rest and it was frigging perfect. Everyone needs one of these bad boys.

That sounds lovely. I ended up getting one of those tefal 8 in 1 multi cookers to cook rice in. I guess I could do it in that on the quick rice setting. I do like one pot cooking.

• Paid Members

Really pleased with how my vindaloo turned out considering that I was popping my curry cherry and went off-piste with the recipe. Tasted better than the one from the local Indian and cost about £10 less. My innards are already screaming bloody murder though.

I love making myself a curry at home but never go all in with a set recipe.

When I can I marinade the meat in tandoori masala powder for the day and add a generic base sauce, whatever I can get cheapest, and add in madras powder to it to taste and sometimes some fresh chilies.

I like adding some garam masala (spelt wrong I think) to the rice as it boils but never got more adventurous than that. I should try something more really.

I like to make some sag aloo (that's the spuds and spinach one isn't it) too, which is a quick job and real easy but is a nice treat.

I'm brining it and then chucking it in the oven wrapped in tin foil. It's actually in the fridge brining right now, but I'm trying it without the curing salt at the moment and I'm worried it'll just turn out shit.

Are you using table salt or cooking salt? Also are you turning it or is it completely submerged in a tupperware box? I used to basically do the same thing with chicken breasts and used jerk spice rub.