The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
Tonight, I am exploring squid, assuming the fishmonger is open when I finish work. Now, I love a bit of squid, but have never had anything beyond it being battered or salt and peppered. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe stuffing it...

Squid, at last knockings on a Friday on a short week? It'll either be a bargain, rank, or both.

I didn't think of that, you're right.

I don't know.

I'll just walk around Asda looking for inspiration.

Thanks for the squid advice though! That will happen one day soon.

So I got some Saffron for Christmas, aside from cooking it in a pork/chicken risotto of some sort, what other suggestions do people have as I'm stumped?

Also Pheasant breast with a port and orange and cranberry sauce should work? Plan was to coat pheasant in Salt and Pepper, Brown, then slice and cook in sauce with some veg for a few hours before serving with either rice or cream and chive mash, sound like a plan?

• Awards Moderator
So I got some Saffron for Christmas, aside from cooking it in a pork/chicken risotto of some sort, what other suggestions do people have as I'm stumped?

Saffron is very good with rice dishes as you say. It works really well in a dessert too, here's Heston trifle /shill.

Also Pheasant breast with a port and orange and cranberry sauce should work? Plan was to coat pheasant in Salt and Pepper, Brown, then slice and cook in sauce with some veg for a few hours before serving with either rice or cream and chive mash, sound like a plan?

If it's a breast off the bone casseroling will destroy it beyond about 45 minutes. Better to pan fry and finish in the oven. Sauce and accompaniments sound ace.

• Paid Members
I'm gravedigging this thread for a shameless shill...

I created a sweet and sour pork recipe for Freedom Food which has a decent competition prize at the end of it. The 20 videos with the most votes go through to the final. Although there aren't 20 videos yet I suspect some are rushing in at the last minute. If anyone is bored and fancies helping a brother out, Steve Austin-Amazon banner style, I'd appreciate a vote. You do need a Facebook account to do this.

I suspect Thunderplex may have a comment on this, him being the guru of takeaway food cooked at home!

Cheers y'all.

I'd have never thought of using Balsamic Vinegar in a Chinese dish. I would not compare this to a take-away to be honest. It's far more healthy due to the lack of deep frying the pork, and the absence of a ton of sugar that is in the traditional take-away sweet and sour. The flavours in it look clean, and tasty and I can't wait to give it a go. Starting a health kick on Monday, but being a food loving greedy bastard am looking for recipes like this that to get me going. Thanks for sharing!

Incidentally, how do we vote, as I couldn't find a clicky on the vid?

• Awards Moderator
I would never have thought to add a stock cube to rice, but that's a class idea. Thanks Alfred Molina.

You haven't said Chris Penn yet.

My wife can't stand plain rice so I have to find many ways to liven it up. Any time you're boiling stuff, e.g. veg or potatoes, why not flavour the water? It's getting absorbed into it. The only time I wouldn't bother is with pasta, the ratios are just too broad to have an impact.

Done, best of luck!

:love:

I often use a veg stock cube for rice too! When I make risotto, I use two veg cubes and one tamarind cube for the stock and boil the peas in it. All vegan though so it won't put hairs on your chest, best to have a bag of pork scratchings for afters.

Saffron is very good with rice dishes as you say. It works really well in a dessert too, here's Heston trifle /shill.

If it's a breast off the bone casseroling will destroy it beyond about 45 minutes. Better to pan fry and finish in the oven. Sauce and accompaniments sound ace.

Not a sweet fan generally, Mississippi Mud Pie, Knickebocker Glory, Home made Trifle and a decent White Chocolate Creme Brulee are about my limits, so risotto-y ricey things it is :)

Had a fucking fab Pheasant (whole) casserole White Wine, Bacon, Shallots Bouquet Garni etc for Xmas day which is why thought wouldnt be to bad doing it. So basically salt & pepper, brown like duck not over cooked, leaving it moist, slice and serve warmed sauce over with accompanying veg+tats :)

Re Rice, lime juice and coriander works for fish, Smoky paprika and cinnamon for rice with Chilli Tex Mex and chilli just to add to the discussion. Long Grain Rice is bloat city, so either use Basmati, or more usually Thai Jasmine rice, which fluffs up nicely and is very versitile and not too filling to boot!

PS Saffron in Boulibasse or Kashmiri Lamb worth a shot?

My wife can't stand plain rice so I have to find many ways to liven it up. Any time you're boiling stuff, e.g. veg or potatoes, why not flavour the water? It's getting absorbed into it. The only time I wouldn't bother is with pasta, the ratios are just too broad to have an impact.

Do the flavoured water thing all the time with boiled tatties and vege. Split Green Beans boiled with Black Pepper and then flash/dry fried work with loads of things for example. Rosemary and mint with boiled tatties also

• Paid Members

Best thing I ever bought was a rice cooker. 500ml washed rice, 500 ml water, a knorr chicken stock pot (yes, I'm a snob)=4 portions of the best rice I have ever tasted. If it's basmati I buy Koorjor in a 10k sack from Asda in longsight (big Asian community=bargain basmati), but long grain I find Sainsburys value long grain is excellent, and only about 50p a bag.

• Awards Moderator
Voted mate, best of luck. Look forward to trying this recipe out too.

Aw cheers :thumbsup:

a knorr chicken stock pot

95% of my prepared stock are Knorr stock pots. I struck up a good relationship with the PR and I have a constant supply of it. I'm currently trying out their onion one which is as delicious as it sounds.