The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Moderators

Not a fan of cumin in chilli. The lack of it is probably one of the big reasons why I prefer mine to any others that I have. I do put a bit of chocolate in there though; a tip I picked up on this very forum. I've also used honey instead and that worked pretty well.

My hot tip for getting a good consistency is to dissolve some corn flour in water and stir that in towards the end.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
Not a fan of cumin in chilli. The lack of it is probably one of the big reasons why I prefer mine to any others that I have. I do put a bit of chocolate in there though; a tip I picked up on this very forum. I've also used honey instead and that worked pretty well.

My hot top for getting a good consistency its to dissolve some corn flour in water and stir that in towards the end.

:omg:

Chilli without plenty of cumin, just isn't Chilli. You may as well take out the Chilli Powder and beans whilst you're at it. Have yourself a bolognese

And honey can fuck off out of my Chilli. Madness

Oh, and I'm not a fan of cornflour either in anything, horrible aftertaste. As long as you reduce it long enough on the hob, there should be no need for it. If it needs thickening, mix up a rough rue of butter and flour and plop it in. Take it off the heat with the lid on and let it sit. The benefit here is butter makes everything taste better.

Edited by Chilly McFreeze

My hot top for getting a good consistency its to dissolve some corn flour in water and stir that in towards the end.

Chilli without plenty of cumin, just isn't Chilli. You may as well take out the Chilli Powder and beans whilst you're at it. Have yourself a bolognese

Oh, and I'm not a fan of cornflour either in anything, horrible aftertaste. As long as you reduce it long enough on the hob, there should be no need for it. If it needs thickening, mix up a rough rue of butter and flour and plop it in. Take it off the heat with the lid on and let it sit. The benefit here is butter makes everything taste better.

Agreed on the reducing, also concentrates the flavour too I find. Cumin is a must too, without it it's just not a chilli.

Honey is an interesting idea, I usually switch between Chocolate or brown sugar to add a sweet edge to the chilli. Only thing I've not seen here yet that I do with mine is to toast my garlic, chilli flakes and spices in the oil before adding the onions. Then I take the onions et al out and brown the mince on it's own (in the spiced oil residue) before adding the rest back in again. Oh and I add a can of baked beans instead of kidney beans, because I'm a heathen.

Beans in Chilli for me is a complete no no, mainly cos I hate beans in Chilli.

My Chilli Mix is more of a smokey effort

Sprinkling some beef stock over the mince as frying/browning or whatever and letting the onions sweat with the mince for some time and add some Worcestershire Sauce

Drain off the excess fat/fluid

add chopped tomatoes and some tomato puree

Then add cayenne chilli powder, smoky paprika, cinnamon stick/powder, garlic, chilli powder/tabasco/hotsauce (whatever is handy), chilli flakes if required cumin and some corriander

Then simmer til ready adding water if necessary to keep it from drying out.

A bit of cinnimon in Chilli too is awesome

Cornflour is a funny one. As long as you dissolve it in some warm water before you mix it into a gravy/sauce, and give it enough time to actually cook through, it makes a great thickener. If you just bung some in it'll go lumpy and taste of shit.

Making a rue for thickening a chilli is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but fair play for bothering.

• Paid Members
Cornflour is a funny one. As long as you dissolve it in some warm water before you mix it into a gravy/sauce, and give it enough time to actually cook through, it makes a great thickener. If you just bung some in it'll go lumpy and taste of shit.

Making a rue for thickening a chilli is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but fair play for bothering.

I don't mean a proper rue cooked on the hob, I mean rub some flour into a knob of butter with your fingers and bung it in the pot. Takes less time than stirring cornflour in water and actually adds to the taste.

However, I agree that thickeners are rarely needed, I border on over reducing my sauce (Chilli, Bolognese etc...) to really concentrate the flavour and then rehydrating with starchy water from the drained pasta/rice.