The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Apologies for throwing this to the floor again, but I simply can't be arsed to go on New Year for the first time in ageeeees, so am planning to do a Middle Eastern style buffet with lamb tagine (I own one) and a few other bits and bobs. Any ideas much appreciated! I'm actually really looking forward to doing this as opposed to forcing myself to have fun at some townie bar with overly aggressive scrotes drinking Carling. 

• Paid Members

You'll need some falafel and some "healthy" doner meat. I do mine a 50/50 mix of lamb and beef and a sachet of this from the polish food aisle in tesco, although it's pretty simple so easy to make by yourself.

Zdj%C4%99cie%E2%80%93id._540x540.jpg

Edited by SiMania

• Paid Members

Cheers Mike, I like the multiple option idea and am an enormous Hummus fan. Thinking I might do a sun blush tomato one, a balsamic one and a hummus heavier than usual in garlic (probably use some of my garlic oil in that one).

In fairness you could do the same with couscous. Make a big batch then do one with lemon & mint, a spicy one (chili & onions) & a traditional Moroccan one with apricot/raisins?

I've got a query. I'm cooking Xmas dinner & I'm working on Christmas eve so wanted to do as much prep as possible. How far in advance could I make gravy & bread sauce & it still be OK In the fridge for Sunday? Tonight?

• Paid Members

Fucking fuming. My fridge was accidentally knocked onto full power, my fresh Bronze turkey in the bottom is now partially frozen. Do you guys think it will make too much difference?

• Awards Moderator

As long as it wasn't previously frozen, and you're not cooking it tonight, you're fine.

You have one chance to freeze anything in one state; so fresh to frozen is fine, you can then defrost, cook and freeze again safely.

• Paid Members

I would freeze both and defrost in the fridge overnight on Saturday.

Potatoes can be cooked from frozen if they are par-roasted.

That was my original plan but freezer space is limited at the moment so I'm going to do both on Xmas eve before work & reheat the next day. Red cabbage in the slow cooker on Saturday too.

• Paid Members

My Christmas dinner duties are to provide a course for Christmas dinner at the in-laws and provide something for the buffet at my parents' on boxing day.

I've had tonsillitis all week so haven't done anything for Christmas day yet but I'm thinking of a ham boiled in ginger ale for a few hours then finished off in the oven with a ginger preserve and mustard glaze, maybe some extra sugar or honey for sweetness. I've not been out the house since Sunday so hopefully tesco will have some hams left.

For boxing day I have a bit of silverside that I'll do sous vide to medium rare for a day or so then shock. Then on boxing day I'll rub with a steak rub and a bit of liquid smoke and either own sear or get in a hot oven just long enough to get a crust on it. Beef will then be sliced thinly for sandwiches.

Not food related but I managed to get a couple of bottles of Buxton/omnipollo yellow belly imperial stout, I wouldn't usually spend over a fiver on a bottle of beer but this got good reviews last year, I'll be sharing with my Dad, brother and brother in law on boxing day.

buxton-yellow-belly.jpg

Edited by SiMania