The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

At my sisters wedding last week the dessert was a vegan Creme Brûlée. It was done with coconut milk and I was not looking forward to it. Was one of the nicest things I have ever tasted. Just stunning.

• Awards Moderator

Been playing around the the slow cooker the last week or so and enjoying just making things on the fly without a recipe. Currently got sweet potato, butternut squash, sweet peppers, pork and apple sausages in with a beef joint seasoned with parsley, rosemary and a bit of coriander. Tiny bit of garlic in there, too, and some stock with red wine. It's about five hours in with a few more to go, but it looks and smells fantastic already. Prep work wasn't even ten minutes.

• Paid Members

I need to get back to slow cooking, I work from home so have the opportunity to prep at lunchtime and have a tea ready for the boys when they get home. I work until 6 so unless I've made something for them or have a meal in the freezer, my (vegetarian and crap at cooking meat) wife feeds them frozen or ready made shite that's full of rubbish.

• Awards Moderator

It's been great for me; no family or anything like you Si, but I'm in work early and do pretty long days so it's perfect for leaving something on for the full day on low. That thing I made yesterday turned out great and there's enough to feed a family twice over. I'd recommend some Moroccan recipes if you get back into it.

• Paid Members

Right. Final Middle East style buffet menu.

Tamarind marinated tofu with spiced mushroom and broccoli.

Slow cooked lamb shoulder in dates and apricots

Pomegranate and tomato salad

Onion and coriander salad

Lemon and lime spiced prawn skewers

Marinated vegetable skewers

Three types of homemade hummus

Homemade falafels with yoghurt and mint dip

Flat breads

Shall take photos tomorrow.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

It's been great for me; no family or anything like you Si, but I'm in work early and do pretty long days so it's perfect for leaving something on for the full day on low. That thing I made yesterday turned out great and there's enough to feed a family twice over. I'd recommend some Moroccan recipes if you get back into it.

Have you got any to share?

• Awards Moderator

Have you got any to share?
Yep. I usually add and remove my own ingredients to suit but a good starting point are these:

http://au.russellhobbs.com/recipes/cuisines/slow-cooked-moroccan-lamb-shanks/ (I don't bother with the yogurt but I also add prunes and almonds).

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/slow-cooker-moroccan-spiced-chicken-thighs-couscous (I detest olives but they're not missed much, but I chucked in some pre-diced pineapple which added a great flavour)

https://www.thriftyfoods.com/recipes/recipes/slow-cooker-moroccan-pork-stew (good with sweet potato mash with some red onion and rosemary mixed in)

I did those a while back but more recently I've just been getting bits and bobs from different recipes and experimenting. Only advice is not to do two meats together like I did (like a moron), as you'll end up with too much excess fat so it can be a bit heavy and lessen the sweetness. A couple of different meats are great for richer casseroles, though.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Right. Final Middle East style buffet menu.

Tamarind marinated tofu with spiced mushroom and broccoli.

Slow cooked lamb shoulder in dates and apricots

Pomegranate and tomato salad

Onion and coriander salad

Lemon and lime spiced prawn skewers

Marinated vegetable skewers

Three types of homemade hummus

Homemade falafels with yoghurt and mint dip

Flat breads

Shall take photos tomorrow.

A lot of work there mate, but sounds spectacular.