The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

In relation to Soap Dish: You keep the sauce at the side to dunk your chips in. The only acceptable thing to put on a good steak is a bit of garlic butter. I also tend to marinade it in Worcestershire Sauce. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

You got me on Pork chop. Just those words get me drooling.

Did Carnitas tonight. Cut a lean shoulder of pork into large chunks and cooked in the pressure cooker with orange and lime juice and the squeezed fruit, cumin, onion, organs and garlic for 40 minute till soft and tender. Broke up a bit and crisped slightly under the grill. Served in soft tortilla bowls wth Salad, avocado, salsa, sour cream, diced spring onion and a sprinkle of Lancashire cheese (I've been told by a real Mexican from Mexico it's as close to thier cheese as you can get over here). Awesome.

Have to admit, Pulled Pork was the reason I bought my first electric Pressure Cooker. I used to get up at 4am to get mine in the slow cooker, but as you say, 40 minutes cooking in that (or about 1 hour 20 in total) is amazing

Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members

In relation to Soap Dish: You keep the sauce at the side to dunk your chips in. The only acceptable thing to put on a good steak is a bit of garlic butter. I also tend to marinade it in Worcestershire Sauce. 

I am with you there. I like the red wine based sauce you get at a Miller and Carter but agree it is for the sides and not the main event

• Awards Moderator

I am with you there. I like the red wine based sauce you get at a Miller and Carter but agree it is for the sides and not the main event

Miller and Carter serve a bordelaise sauce. This is a great approximation:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2514/shallot-and-red-wine-sauce

Chest, that sounds like a great gyoza!

Gus, I don't understand the logic of "steak shouldn't have sauce" but then you marinate in Worcestershire sauce. It must be like eating a raw Twiglet.

• Paid Members

It  honestly doesn't taste like that all Onyx. Just adds to the savoury flavour, Twiglet's are Marmite, not Worcestershire, aren't they? Most of it get's burned off in the pan, but adds a slight tang to the charred bits on the meat which is delicious. Also loosens up steak of less high quality. Like an oily meat massage. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Could try making a Keema, which is a fairly mild curry with peas. Very tasty and takes about 10 mins prep and half an hour to cook.

Or Koftas, which are like long spiced meatballs that are delicious in a pitta bread with some salad and mint yoghurt.

Traditionally both are made with lamb mince but I substitute with beef mince quite often and it's just as tasty.

• Awards Moderator

Mince! There's a fantastic book by a Dimbleby called Marvellous Mince which is a bible:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marvellous-Meals-Mince-Josceline-Dimbleby/dp/184949150X

You can shape it - think burgers or kofte. Or fry it like a chilli. Or stuff it in things like peppers. What really changes it is the spices used. Wander down the packets aisle of a supermarket and look at the Colmans sachets for ideas.

With chilli you can change it massively by what you serve it with. Rice? Flatbreads? Tortilla chips? Flour tortillas? Corn tortillas? Tacos? Jacket potatoes? Roast veg?

My favourite kofte recipe is with dried chillies, formed into sausages, grilled really fast then rolled in honey and pistachios. Phwoar!

Hi guys. I've started cooking an awful lot the last 6 months so thought I'd would have a little lurk in here

As for the mince question, I would agree with those who have mentioned Kofte recipes if you're wanting to stay away from chilli altogether. So many options as to what other food to put in with the kofte. I think there's always something satisfying about grilling something on skewers...no idea why!

I've been cooking a lot of Joe Wicks recipes lately but a browse through the last couple of pages of this thread and I want to get the slow cooker back out and do ribs, thighs and all sorts of chilli goodness!

• Paid Members

Had the same query with mince this evening, had some flour to use up as well, so ended up making some pastry, bunging the mince in a pot with some celery, chilli, onion and yellow pepper and then bunging all that into some miniature mince beef pies. All in all pretty banging meal to relax before I go back to finishing this essay.

Someone mentioned Keema a few pages ago but I'd only ever had it in the middle of a naan when my missus worked with a guy whose mum made her own. They were sensational though.

We're doing Slimming World at the moment so made Keema with rice using lean beef mince and it turned out great. Will try and post a picture tomorrow when I'm at a pc.

Edited by MungoChutney