The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Have fun with it Gus. Part of the reason I went Veggie was due to being bored of meat. There just wasn't the variety available that is around now. I still cook meat for family and friends. I don't eat it myself though, I knocked eggs on the head too. Which in hindsight may have been easier than going veggie. The amount of stuff that has eggs in it is mind boggling. It helps that I come from an Indian background. Therefore I don't struggle for veggie food. Plus the possibilities that open up for you are seemingly endless. Potatoes and cheese do tend to make up a large part of the menu. However there in lies the fun. As those food groups are plentiful and myriad, and go with pretty much everything. Tesco do a fantastic chilli Halloumi.

I'm making Cheese and Potato pie tonight. Does anyone have any tips?

• Paid Members

I think for anyone going to the dark side (i.e. Veggie), Asian food is an absolute godsend. I always go heavy on the side dishes, normally always veg based, and the rice dishes are awesome. Could eat Bhindi Bhaji till it popped out of my ears.

• Paid Members

You wouldn't believe the things I can do with lentils, Coconut.

Talking of which, there's an option for you: coconut & lentil soup. I once had it at a little cafe in Glastonbury, and it was lovely.

Also, a tip: if you want to make your food taste meatier or brothier, French onions are great for that. Failing that, Onion Gravy Granules work very well too.

• Paid Members

I have made some thrilling hummus over the past fortnight, which is good. On the other hand, I can't believe how difficult it was the get the local curry house to do me a potato Vindaloo. It was as if I was telling them to whip up a Coq au Vin in the tandoori oven or something. I mean, it's got sodding potato in to start with!

• Paid Members

Just because I've gone vegi, doesn't mean I'm going to self-eunuch myself and start ordering absolute dross like vegetable Korma or those abysmal vegetable side curries. They need to put their trousers on, have a cup of tea and make me a potato Vindaloo so I can continue to shit the arse out of my arse on a fortnightly basis. 

They did make it for what it's worth. It was more complete confusion, like they thought it impossible anyone would both want a spicy dish and eat only vegetables. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, good curryhouse with an appropriate level of bowl-melting heat in their curries. May actually get Paneer added next time, like the sound of that.

One cool thing is that Bath has a wholly vegetarian Indian ten minutes from my house. Really looking forward to giving that a Sgt Bash at some point soon.

• Moderators

I had a day of cooking new stuff at the weekend. I made my own sausages for the first time, and made pasta for the first time. Both came out really well, and weren't as hard as I thought they would be. Very pleased. Can't wait to try out different recipes for sausage filling. Also, next step is to learn how to cure sausages as making my own chorizo would be the ultimate dream.

• Paid Members

I made an ale pulled pork in the slow cooker over the weekend, which I was very pleased with after a 9 hour slow cook. I also made a Turkish Eggs breakfast dish thing. Garlic and yoghurt base, with poached eggs, onions, shallots, halloumi, parsley, dill and a few seasonings, all served with sourdough bread.

Quite pleased with that overall, as I slowly try and start expanding my repertoire in the kitchen, and finding it very useful for taking my mind off of other things.

My favourite dish in the world is both Indian and vegetarian. Palaak paneer. I'll type you up the recipe when I get a chance. My mum's proper traditional recipe, not some bbc good food rubbish variation!

That's also my favourite. My mum's is the best. I've tried using her recipe and making it myself but it never comes out anywhere near as good. I'd love to see your mum's recipe.