The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

I apologise to Chest and Mrs Rockwell as I again failed to make paneer. However, I have made a delicious Vindaloo from scratch and have absolutely blown my face off from my skull. Added numerous fresh green chillis and they are the Scott Steiner of Scoville. In tears.

Wedding shopping and eating mainly. Also a cousin is getting married out there which was originally why I was going, but I'll also do the wedding shopping now. And eat. Lots of eating i hope. Indian street food is my favourite, Chaat and Gol Guppay in particular, my mouth is watering just thinking about it! It just isn't the same here

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members

Big BBQ day tomorrow, 1st of the year.  Doing a whole Turkey, Small brisket and a few St Louis ribs.  Starting at 10.00am on my beloved Pro Q.  Here's a photo of my love and the last bits I made on it.

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

• Awards Moderator

Top stuff. But a Monday?

This thread needs more Simania and his pizza oven.

Mrs Onyx bought me a raclette for me birthday. It's a plug in grill with an element and marble top. Like a fondue 2.0. Totally gimmicky but good fun.

20170402_203725.jpg

(Hey, the forum can host images! I give it 20 mins until the database is full)

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Yes, a Monday!  I'm off this week, and was busy yesterday and today, so a Monday BBQ it is while I watch wrestlemania.

The racalette looks awesome, will be on my birthday list.

Edited by Thunderplex

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

This thread needs more Simania and his pizza oven.

Pizza night 1 was for the grown ups and night 2 was for the kids, by the time the last pizza was in, I'd finally got to grips with getting it up to a high heat. Next pizza night is tomorrow if I'm not working away so I'll take some photos and videos of it in action. 

I'm quite obsessed with dough recipes now and haven't done anything that doesn't involve using a bread maker to knead it. 

• Paid Members

I'm off to Mauritius for three weeks in a week, for my cousin's wedding. Will be eating a lot of Mauritian street food (which is similar in places to either Indian or creole cuisine, but generally tends to be heavier on herbs, and more water than oil. And lots of garlic, ginger, and coriander), such as dal pouri (similar to Indian dhal puri), haleem, coconut samosas (a nice sweet to have on the beach), and pineapple doused in chilli sauce.

Will try and take pics of all the food - my family being Muslim, the wedding ceremony involves the butchering and cooking of an entire cow (including tripe curry, which I'm not fond of), so there should be plenty to photograph.

Edited by Carbomb

Coconut samosas sound really nice, I've never had of those before - though I have had chocolate samosas - but coconut sounds much nicer. I'll have to try and track those down. Are they generally only found in Mauritian cuisine?

• Awards Moderator
12 minutes ago, SiMania said:

I'm quite obsessed with dough recipes now and haven't done anything that doesn't involve using a bread maker to knead it. 

I love baking bread. I make it most weekends. 

For pizza dough (will make about 2) mix 500g strong white flour, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1x7g sachet of yeast, 1 tablespoon olive oil and enough warm water to bind. Continue to mix and knead by handing, be really rough with it. After 10 mins it should be smooth and elastic. Leave to rise, covered, for an hour. Form into discs, leave for a further 15 mins and you're ready to go. 

• Paid Members

I've just put this into the bread maker on the dough setting. 

250g strong white flour

250g 00 flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 sachet easy bake yeast

300ml water

I left out the oil and sugar as apparently it can burn at the high temps of my oven, I just did half the quantity of yeast as it'll be doing a 24 hour cold ferment which needs less yeast. In an hour or so I'll divide it into 5 balls and it'll go in the fridge until a few hours prior to it being needed.