The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

I'm always on the look out for reasonably quick to make lunch ideas for when I'm at work to avoid repeating the tuna pasta/ cous cous and chicken/some sort of sarnie formula every week. The Mrs made some burgers from scratch yesterday and there were some leftover. Cooked one this morning, chopped it up in to chunks and mixed in to some freshly cooked pasta. Mixed in a load of barbeque sauce, spring onions and grated cheese. Just eaten it and it was rather nice if I do say so myself. Would have been good with some peppers in aswell but didn't have any in the house. 

• Awards Moderator

Packed lunch is easily the hardest meal to get right if you don't want to get bored into sandwich oblivion. I make lunch for me and two others in the house, and they don't have access to a kettle or a microwave so I have to be really creative to not dire of boredom rotating the same lunches.

I just finished cous-cous with roasted sweet potato, Lidl bratwurst and guacamole. It was a little bit "what's left in the fridge?"

It's a mare isn't it! The "what the hell have I got in the house" lunches can be quite interesting. I made something involving sour cream, chicken, bacon and pasta a bit back that wasn't too horrific.

A burrito is a good alternative to a sandwich, it's a good use for any spare mince or chicken breasts that don't get used as part of a main meal too. Bit of rice, peppers, kidney beans, cheese, meat of choice and some guac/ sour cream. It's pretty good in a box without the wrap as a salad too.

• Paid Members

The word "waterbath" appeared in that more than once.

It is the best way to cook steak by a million miles. Perfect texture and keeps all the flavour in.

Agreed, a million times. I haven't cooked a steak or a joint of beef any other way for months now. It truly is the best way of cooking cheaper cuts so they taste like the very best.

• Moderators

It is the best way to cook steak by a million miles. Perfect texture and keeps all the flavour in.
Agreed, a million times. I haven't cooked a steak or a joint of beef any other way for months now. It truly is the best way of cooking cheaper cuts so they taste like the very best.

So normally when I do a steak I fry it in butter and rosemary - how would you get those kind of flavors into your meat when you do this?

• Paid Members

So normally when I do a steak I fry it in butter and rosemary - how would you get those kind of flavors into your meat when you do this?

You still do that, but at that point the steak is cooked to your liking so it only needs seared at a really high temperature for a short period of time to get a nice crust on it.

• Paid Members

I hate waterbathing as a method. Not because it isn't good Chest, because it is. But because it just seems to take some of the magic out of cooking. Flambeing, roasting, charring, grilling, slow-cooking all have a degree of danger and excitement about them. Taking a beef joint out of a glorified bath-tub doesn't (yes, I know you crisp it after anyway). 

• Moderators

You still do that, but at that point the steak is cooked to your liking so it only needs seared at a really high temperature for a short period of time to get a nice crust on it.

It feels like that wouldn't be enough time for the flavour to get into it though..?