The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

58 minutes ago, MungoChutney said:
  Big Picture (Reveal hidden contents)

17861823_10158474573945162_4176572553248

Went to Miller & Cater in Glasgow last weekend and it was unbelievable. Giant picture in tags is the Butcher's Block sharer - 8oz Rib-eye, 8oz Sirloin and 8oz Fillet all 30-50 day aged.  You also get two massive wedges of onion loaf a wedge each of dressed lettuce and beef dripping cooked chips plus a couple of sauces.  I took the missus out as a treat for supporting me (mentally, not financially) through uni and starting my own business.  Definitely be back for a return visit soon.

It's my girlfriend and I's anniversary on Thursday and we were planning Miller and Carter. Was modestly going with the £25 meal deal, but this looks amazing. However I can't find it on the main menu in their website. 

What am I looking for?

11 minutes ago, FattHardy said:

It's my girlfriend and I's anniversary on Thursday and we were planning Miller and Carter. Was modestly going with the £25 meal deal, but this looks amazing. However I can't find it on the main menu in their website. 

What am I looking for?

Chef's Specials Menu is the one you want.  We splashed out as a bit of an extravagance but we'll likely go for one of the mid week deals next time.

Onyx, that was our first time in as Saturday nigh bookings between 5 and 9 are roughly a 28 day wait.  Glasgow branch seems to have mainly positive reviews so far.  My only complain was that it was a bit cold inside and we weren't near any of the doors.

Edited by MungoChutney

1 minute ago, MungoChutney said:

Chef's Specials Menu is the one you want.  We splashed out as a bit of an extravagance but we'll likely go for one of the mid week deals next time.

Onyx, that was our first time in as Saturday nigh bookings between 5 and 9 are roughly a 28 day wait.  Glasgow branch seems to have mainly positive reviews so far.  My only complain was that it was a bit cold inside and we weren't near any of the doors.

Any idea of pricing for that beauty of a board?

2 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

That's not really the point of eating out.

I understand that, but with stuff like steak it can be hit and miss whereas cooking it yourself you know how you like it and can cook it to your own personal preference. You said yourself you ended up with a crappy steak from them in the past. It's obviously different when it's a meal for 2 and it's something a bit special, but unless it's as part of a Whetherspoon's mixed grill I don't go out to eat steak all that much.

Have to say Rey, to a point I'm in agreement as I'm not likely to order a steak from a menu when eating out as I find a lot of restaurants don't get it cooked the way I like.  This was something else entirely though.  The whole board with the fries, onion loaf and lettuce was fantastic while the steak was cooked exactly as ordered and I couldn't recreate it if you gave me 6 months to try.  We were going out for drinks afterwards so didn't have a starter or sides because I find I can't enjoy a pint if I'm too full up.  Next time I'd definitely like a go at the lobster mac 'n' cheese beside my steak.

Having spent too much time watching Man vs Food and Diners, Drive-ins and Dives I really want to get a smoker. I really wish I had a small yard or garden where  I could have one set up. If only so I could do my own beef brisket and pork butt for pulled pork. I also don't think my neighbours would be too impressed with me having a smoker going for 8 hours or so at a time. Even though it would have to be something to leave over night or start early in the morning and keep checking the temperature during the day.

• Moderators

Hot smoking is still low temperature and indirect. It's only hot in comparison to having a separate smoke box, and then piping the smoke in.

I used a normal kettle bbq, with just a small handful of coals over on one side (wood chip on top once they're nice and grey). And the meat all the way over on the other side, with an aluminium tray of water underneath it. You do have to keep monitoring it to feed it coal and wood when needed, so it's a little more labour intensive that a purpose built smoker, but it's still very simple. I smoked a sub-1kg bit of pork loin for about five hours without fully cooking it, and it had a really intense smokiness. (Too smoky for me, tbh. Will do it less next time).

That's the thing I'd like to do something where I could set it and forget it, with it keeping a constant heat and smokiness. Though having read up on bits and bobs about smoking stuff a 2 kilo piece of pork shoulder after having had a rub applied and left to sit for 8 hours will only need 3-4 hours smoking on a fairly low heat. (Dependent on whether the shoulder is bone in or not.)