The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

What was the recipe?

Well, in the video you bake a potato, scoop out the insides, which you then mash up and mix in Miracle Whip, milk, salt and pepper. I just had some mash left over, so I put in some milk, butter, salt, pepper, some grated cheddar, and a dollop of mayonnaise. Turned out nice and smooth, with a subtle but good flavour.

• Paid Members

Depends on the duck. Regular duck eggs are great, you get a lot more in one egg, and taste-wise, they're not too different from chicken eggs.

Chinese mallard eggs - now, that's an acquired taste. I know that sounds ridiculously esoteric, but I made this mistake once. I went to Chinatown, and shopped in New Loon Fung supermarket, which is an awesome place. They had boxes of eggs simply labelled "duck eggs", so I bought some. I boiled a couple when I got back, and they were really salty, to the point I just couldn't eat them.

There must be some way of preparing them, but I don't know what that is.

• Paid Members

If you're feeling really lazy, most supermarkets do a whole chicken that is pre-seasoned and stuffed so you can just bung it in the oven.

You can even get ones that you can cook in a bag to keep them moist (https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-british-garlic-basted-whole-chicken-135kg), so again, you just stick it in the oven for the specified time. I had my misgivings about this approach, but it makes for a very good roast chicken if you're not confident in doing it yourself.

• Awards Moderator
34 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

how much milk/flour is enough for a 2 person toad in the hole?

2 heaped dessert spoons of plain flour

1 egg

Enough milk to slacken to a gloopy double cream (maybe a little under a mugful?) 

Pinch of salt 

Whisk to buggery. Leave in the fridge until you need it. 

Preheat oven to 190c. Add a thin layer of oil to your yorkie tin(s), put in the oven for 2 minutes. After that, gently pour in batter and bake for 20 - 30 minutes until risen and browned (every oven is different).

With hunter's chicken, if you're inexperienced it can be easy to overcook. Not a difficult recipe but try to keep the chicken moist. 

A whole roast chicken is a great idea, you'll get leftovers too. 

Edited by Onyx2

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:38 AM, Onyx2 said:

2 heaped dessert spoons of plain flour

1 egg

Enough milk to slacken to a gloopy double cream (maybe a little under a mugful?) 

Pinch of salt 

Whisk to buggery. Leave in the fridge until you need it. 

Preheat oven to 190c. Add a thin layer of oil to your yorkie tin(s), put in the oven for 2 minutes. After that, gently pour in batter and bake for 20 - 30 minutes until risen and browned (every oven is different).

With hunter's chicken, if you're inexperienced it can be easy to overcook. Not a difficult recipe but try to keep the chicken moist. 

A whole roast chicken is a great idea, you'll get leftovers too. 

Toad in the hole is one of my favourite comfort meals. I put Marmite in the batter or sometimes rosemary. Marmite Yorkshires are a game changer

27 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

No, it isn't refined, but look at these bad boys I made for the work Royal Wedding buffet.

20180518_093628.jpg

That's some top work there Gus. All you need are some prawn vol au vents, cocktail sausages and a couple of bags of ready salted crisps in a bowl for the full 70s cocktail party experience.

• Paid Members

I made my first veggie spag bol recently with Quorn "mince". It wasn't bad at all. I'm going to try a Chilli at the weekend. Been eating healthier and swapping some of the fatty meat we eat for either lean meat or veggie option has helped. I've never cooked rice before though! Any tips?

"Royal Wedding buffet" - Ugh!

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

"Royal Wedding buffet" - Ugh!

BTW here's a tip that I've recently found works really well - when making chilli con carne, stick in some raw, unsweetened cacao powder, make it Mexican molé style. Gives it a nice, deep flavour.