The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Moderators
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

I made my first veggie spag bol recently with Quorn "mince". It wasn't bad at all. I'm going to try a Chilli at the weekend. Been eating healthier and swapping some of the fatty meat we eat for either lean meat or veggie option has helped. I've never cooked rice before though! Any tips?

"Royal Wedding buffet" - Ugh!

I think we covered this conversation earlier in the thread somewhere off you want to search it down, but one tip I'd say is always steam rice rather than boiling it. Comes out consistently better.

20 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I think we covered this conversation earlier in the thread somewhere off you want to search it down, but one tip I'd say is always steam rice rather than boiling it. Comes out consistently better.

I've always struggled with rice so tend to opt for boil in the bag stuff. Can'tsay I've ever noticed any difference between that and even getting boiled rice in a restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I bit the bullet and bought a sous vide thingy. Any tips? I've already got a vacuum sealer anyway, so I'll be using that rather than ziplocks and water displacement or some such.

First of all, might seem obvious, but make sure you have a pot big enough to fit it in.  Didn’t realise how big they tend to be.  I use the inner pot of my electric pressure cooker, that just about does it for smaller cuts, but I’ll need a bigger vessel if I want to do something the size of a nice joint.  Found this very useful too - https://www.sousvidetools.com/calculator/ .  Enjoy, it’s a nice piece of kit.

• Paid Members

Serious Eats is great. Just came in to post about my sous vide. 

I messed around with some cheap braising steak the other day and sealed it with some ground up dry chilli, black pepper, curry leaves and mustard seeds, cooked it for 3 hours, cooled it and chucked it in the fridge.

Made a curry with it the next day and it was the best beef curry i've ever had. meat fell apart with 20 minutes of cooking. I wouldn't put the chilli in with the beef again though, it nearly killed the missus. 

• Moderators

I didn't start with a steak, sorry! It arrived today and we had some salmon in the fridge so I did that. It was fucking amazing. Best salmon I've ever had. I'm not even a huge salmon fan, but my wife has been trying to get me to have it once a week for healthiness. I'll be happy to eat it weekly now.

• Awards Moderator
18 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Fucking hell, Chest's a sous vide junkie now. Onyx, you bad man, dealing to the kids.

He rejected my gear. Offered him my stash and he went to a different dealer. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
5 hours ago, Ralphy said:

not sure if this is of interest to anyone, but i love to look at these recipe videos on youtube, its from a guy who makes such amazing looking cakes/deserts/general treats that Jamie Oliver would try to ban the internet if he watched the videos!

Its an aussie guy and its called "the simple cooking channel" most recipes use between 2 and 5 ingredients, and, are, um, simple...! 

Ive made the peanut butter brownies from it, delicious

https://www.youtube.com/user/SimpleCookingChannel/playlists

this channel is good too, no bake recipes and are more healthy than the one above, if that's your thing 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOLsiMc-IF5RzWGHFiIkxrw

Shouldnt this be in the #EatClean thread?