The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Great stuff! Not my dinner, but I'd recommend turning the oven up higher next time, get some char on those veg. 

I sent the photo to my ex who is a great cook, and she said “you going to cook it then?” 😂 so after about 3 mouthfuls I put it back in for 15 minutes and yeah, it made a  massive difference. 

• Paid Members

Spent the afternoon making a diet-friendly indian feast - Chicken Jalfrezi, Tarka Dal, Pilau Rice, Bombay potatoes, Onion Bhajis and home made Naan. Only took 2 hours - very nice.

73nmzOr.png

Edited by Nexus

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Nexus said:

Spent the afternoon making a diet-friendly indian feast - Chicken Jalfrezi, Tarka Dal, Pilau Rice, Bombay potatoes, Onion Bhajis and home made Naan. Only took 2 hours - very nice.

73nmzOr.png

Does not look diet friendly to me in the best of ways!  Any chance of sharing the recipe?

• Paid Members

I used the BBC good food Jalfrezi and Tarka Dal recipes, just used Fry Light rather than normal oil - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5852/chicken-jalfrezihttps://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tarkadal_90055. The Onion Bhaji recipe was from Pinch of Nom - http://pinchofnom.com/recipes/onion-bhajis/, as was the Bombay Potatoes - http://pinchofnom.com/recipes/saag-aloo-slimming-world-weight-watchers-friendly/ - the rice was just normal rice with Bart's Pilau seasoning. The naan bread was two table spoons of flour, with about the same 0% fat greek yogurt, mixed until a dough is formed, adding bits of flour if needed to keep it less wet, then I put it on a hot frying pan with no oil in. 

Got leftover curry tonight so I am quite excited for that as well. 

• Paid Members

Yeah the naans come out quite well - roll them to whatever thickness you like. I haven't tried oven baking them but that would probably work well also.

I'm following Slimming World, which makes curries quite good because it's easy to avoid "syns". I will admit I am missing a good chinese though - the home made ones don't have quite the same taste...

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Nexus said:

Yeah the naans come out quite well - roll them to whatever thickness you like. I haven't tried oven baking them but that would probably work well also.

I'm following Slimming World, which makes curries quite good because it's easy to avoid "syns". I will admit I am missing a good chinese though - the home made ones don't have quite the same taste...

A sneaky 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of MSG thrown in a mi ute be for you add the veg will help with that Chinese tang.

• Paid Members

I tried some of that Bare Naked rice that featured on Dragons Den.  Incredibly low in calories, zero fat and very low carbs. I expected it to be shit but I was pleasantly surprised. I knocked up a very basic, but a favourite of mine, veg, salmon and rice and it only take around 15 mins.

Veg - is broccoli, courgette, red onion, asparagus aubergine and mushroom. 

Sauce - Teriyaki, Oyster, soy and rice vinegar.

34E51063-2924-4FA9-9419-1E7817FB03F4.jpeg

• Paid Members

Think these were the best homemade pizzas yet. How we didn't think of it before I don't know, but rolling out the base and adding toppings on baking paper so it doesn't get mangled when putting on the pizza stone made an enormous difference.

Also, a bonus from scratch butter chicken with chickpea and spinach side and rice. Changed how I did the chicken and it was delicious  - yoghurt and spice marinade, 4 hours in the sous vide, then 35 mins on gas Mark 7 in the oven to crisp the skin up before eating. Would just lay on top of the sauce next time to make the texture variation even better.

Also, @SuperBacon, I think I must have sold you a bit of a kipper with the instructions for the courgette/aubergine thing a few pages back, so apologies. Think Onyx is right that wacking the oven up might help it - might be because I currently have a gas oven the size of a shoebox, so it cooks pretty quick. 

20190810_185509.jpg

20190810_185424.jpg

20190804_190803.jpg

Edited by Gus Mears

No worries mate, I have a fan assisted oven that takes bloody ages, so lesson learnt. Did it again a few nights back and did it for longer and higher (kennethwilliams.jpg) and it turned out a treat. The melted feta was immense. 

Made a meat free chilli with cauliflower rice which was bloody lovely as well.