The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, gmoney said:

These look, er, mint, What's your recipe? 

250g dark chocolate, 230g butter, 65g plain flour, 60g cocoa powder, 150g choc chips, 3 eggs, 1 egg yolk, 250g caster sugar, pinch salt, 1 tsp vanilla extract. 

I've used mint chips or mint aero instead of choc chips and peppermint extract instead of vanilla for my mint variations.

Melt your chocolate and butter together.

Whisk the eggs, caster sugar, salt and extract together.

Add the melted choc and butter to the whisked eggs after letting it cool slightly.

Sift in the flour, cocoa and half the choc chips and mix it all together.

Pour it in a lined tin and cover with the other half of the choc chips.

Bake 45-55 mins at 140 degrees.

I now put it in the fridge to completely chill and put it straight from the fridge to the oven. It makes it incredibly fudgy. I use a roasting tray that's 32x22cm and they come out about an inch and a half thick and slices into 12-16 decent slices but you can vary that.

• Awards Moderator
16 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

I enjoy roasting a chicken and I've got the basics down to a tee. Any ideas on a new way to roast it? Any good stuffings or rubs? Fancy something new and different.

* few tablespoons of your favourite curry paste

* loads of lemons and garlic, over it, in it, under it

* miso paste and grated ginger

* BBQ sauce (make your own) 

* loads of balsamic (like a whole bottle of cheap stuff). Strong as fuck aroma, but really sticky sweet 

* diced mango and chilli (trust me on this one), keep basting it

* mushrooms, mustard and tarragon 

* dried apricots, nuts and onion stuffing 

I could do this all day long. 

• Moderators
On 10/15/2019 at 12:46 AM, FelatioLips said:

I enjoy roasting a chicken and I've got the basics down to a tee. Any ideas on a new way to roast it? Any good stuffings or rubs? Fancy something new and different.

The thing that makes the biggest difference that I've tried is brining. Keeps the meat really juicy, the skin gets super crispy and the flavour actually penetrates the flesh rather than just being in the skin. You can do whatever you want with the flavours in there but the key is having a ratio of about 5% salt to water.

• Paid Members

Today's lunch: butterbeans, Mauritian style. Cooked in broth (usually lamb, but sometimes veg as well), with garlic, ginger, onions, garam masala, jeerah, dhaniya, little bit of fresh coriander.

butterbeans.jpg

• Moderators

I wanted to cook something new as I've had a couple days off work to have a chilled long weekend for my birthday. Today I made fresh squid ink pasta. The ink is such a weird ingredient to work with.. thick black goop that reminded me of the Venom symbiote when unattached to a host. The dough:

photo5879657774521103123.thumb.jpg.4a4de96bfbfc40c0edc015ff8dac448d.jpg

It wasn't quite done at that point.. when it was it was super silky and jet black. It looked very cool.

Rolled and cut:

photo5879895810198581984.thumb.jpg.2ec579949d332c02660c1a6d7cd225e4.jpg

Cooked:

photo5879895810198581983.thumb.jpg.df08104fc9d990c33bd84a54a2477c67.jpg

It passed the taste test....

photo5879895810198581982.thumb.jpg.2cadd51626e799a0c1a0731e29857fed.jpg

The final product - king prawns, garlic and cherry tomatoes that were cooked in a little bit of white wine and butter, and some fresh chopped basil. Super light and fresh and really tasty.

photo5879895810198582012.thumb.jpg.2564ba62ebbbcef53c9bca9b5a46a4d0.jpg

• Moderators

Ha! Thank you, you're too kind! It's nice to get to share this stuff here and have it appreciated. I would love to work with food in some capacity but I would hate to be a chef, man. It looks so fucking stressful. Maybe I could be one of those social media chefs; that seems a pretty sweet gig apart from the fact that I hate social media.

I love butterbeans, incidentally. That dish looks nice. What would you usually have it with? Just on its own like a soup? With some bread / rice..?

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Ha! Thank you, you're too kind! It's nice to get to share this stuff here and have it appreciated. I would love to work with food in some capacity but I would hate to be a chef, man. It looks so fucking stressful. Maybe I could be one of those social media chefs; that seems a pretty sweet gig apart from the fact that I hate social media.

Yeah, I hear that. I only bother with it because my business needs it. 

But I agree with neil I'd probably watch a Chest foodie channel. 

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I love butterbeans, incidentally. That dish looks nice. What would you usually have it with? Just on its own like a soup? With some bread / rice..?

Can have it by itself, or with roti or dhal puri, although this one I just had with a couple of toasted rolls. 

• Paid Members

Did a bit of an Athletico Mince for lunch. Had some leftover Dolmio lasagne bechamel, so chopped up half an onion, some garlic, which I cooked in a little olive oil, stuck in some dried basil and oregano, then put the sauce in and grated in some cheddar. Meanwhile, cooked up some fusilli, then stuck that in the sauce, and had with black pepper on it. 

Not bad at all, and didn't take me long to make.