The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

I've gained enough confidence doing Indian food from scratch that I can make it up as I go largely now and this was the definitely the best tasting yet. Spending a Saturday afternoon toasting and milling spices and cooking this stuff is very therapeutic.

Chicken thighs marinated in yoghurt, lemon and mixed spices, slow cooked and then crisped.I did a vindaloo for myself, uppped the amount of cloves and white wine vinegar in it and it was excellent. Also did something approaching a Korma for my girlfriend, but added a lot of smoked paprika to give it more flavour without overt heat. 

Wish this sort of thing was a bit kinder when being photographed.

20191026_181101.jpg

20191026_182746.jpg

20191026_153605.jpg

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Amazing. Good work on the chicken. I've never been able to get the same effect from a fan oven that you get from a tandoor without having to use pre-made tandoori paste.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Amazing. Good work on the chicken. I've never been able to get the same effect from a fan oven that you get from a tandoor without having to use pre-made tandoori paste.

This definitely tasted different from tandoori but, as you say, it's hard to replicate the taste with a conventional oven. 24 hour marinade, sous vide and blasting them on 220 until crisp is still pretty nice. The left over cooked marinade and chicken juices made a cracking dip for paddadpoms too!

Edited by Gus Mears

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Tom Kerridge has a brilliant technique: slow roasting (say 120c oven) until cooked through, then finishing with a blowtorch to char the surface. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Tom Kerridge has a brilliant technique: slow roasting (say 120c oven) until cooked through, then finishing with a blowtorch to char the surface. 

Much as I love food, I'm not sure I'm committed enough to invest in a blowtorch yet. Apart from Mauritian creme brulée and the tip you've just given me there, not sure I'd get much use out of it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Made these at the weekend. Dunno if you call them Crownies or Brookies but half brownie, half cookie. normally tray baked but I went for individuals.

image.png.179118b5e7ce23e55bb0e554416e9c4f.png

image.png.65fe608ab8f6199e234b41156c99c581.png

Did peppers stuffed with chili and cheese at the weekend and made my first "Halloumi fries" to go alongside. So good!

image.png.cf4ec90bb61d40d5451c9bfd6c0fcd3c.png

Finally, a couple of leftover lunches for the gods. This one is from last week. Leftover taco mince with jacket spud, avocado, cheese and salsa.

image.png.9585cbf98d640bda2ad3849deea6b846.png

This one was yesterday and today. Leftover chili used to make "low carb tacos" with lettuce, cheese and avocado. Pic before the addition of sour cream!

image.png.ed8b701ed78036220e9251b9ea879668.png