The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Awards Moderator

Complete lies. Their extremely normal recipe for pizza dough, which won't create the crust they do. No chance they use Supasave plain flour to get their crust. I can't believe they don't use a pre-ferment either. 

• Paid Members

We did caramel banana muffins from the latest BakedIn box. 

Really nice. Moist like banana bread and sweetness from the caramel. I don't make a great caramel but it was OK. I used spread instead of butter, dunno if that's why it split a little.

20200418_181248_copy_907x1612.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I’ve just made this jalapeño corn bread. With onions, garlic, feta, cumin, Cajun pepper & sour cream. A friend sent me the recipe last night. Can’t wait to eat it, but not sure what to have with it. 
Maybe some Texas/BBQ style pit beans and smoked sausages, that would probs go well.

EC11CC06-56F7-4493-946F-9C361E4FD4DB.jpeg

• Paid Members

Got back to baking, decided to bake two loaves - ran out of wholemeal flour halfway through measuring out for the first, so topped it up with some oatbran we had in the cupboard for some reason, and then made up the rest of it with plain white strong flour. The second loaf, I made white - never made white bread before, so thought it'd be worth trying. Instead of olive oil, I used sesame oil, and topped it off with sesame seeds - trying to make it like the Turkish loaves at the local bakery (which is where I also buy fresh yeast, which is ridiculously cheap - 50p got me a big tofu-like block, which I'll probably not end up using all of).

Also, first time "knocking back" the dough actually worked for me - but only for the white loaf, which turned out nice and light. The wholemeal/oatbran one turned out heavy and cakey, like I hadn't knocked it back at all, but it was still good for stuff like soups and stews.

IMG_20200510_211507.jpg.95a59474560b9a897bed7b2f5d46e198.jpg

Rose nicely, although the white split at the side a bit - also, the sesame seeds fell off relatively easily. Would've brushed it with milk, but wanted to keep it a vegan-ish recipe (not sure why, just thought it'd be a good thing to stick to).

Quick crumb-shot with the heels cut:

IMG_20200510_211945.jpg.1d4529611114fbc02d4b3f8b0fb10ad9.jpg

Individual deeper crumb-shots:

IMG_20200510_211955.jpg.f1e6de117c0a5a283bfec4c0f0b3191c.jpgIMG_20200510_211959.jpg.cbcb2af941dde53119b4a58649ad7dfc.jpg

Anyway, they got scoffed, which I'm pleased about.

• 3 weeks later...

Like most wankers I’ve been doing a bit of baking over the past few months, I’ve mostly scratched the itch but after having a few successful cakes I did promise the kids I’d try and make them birthday cakes this year. 

So today is birthday 1 of a run of 5 in the next ten weeks and with a little help from my lady (she’s my kitchen finesser) we made this. I don’t usually share the outcome of my ‘creations’ on here because whilst tasting fine they usually look a bit Frankenstein-y. It’s by no means great but it’s easily the best thing I’ve baked and the woman up the road charges £60 for a much more professional looking equivalent that tastes the same.

I did struggle getting the butter cream consistency and flavour right so any tips there would be welcome.

We didn’t use royal icing because it’s gross and yes, the unicorn is pooing Skittles.

0-BEC3-D52-BE92-43-A6-8359-0228-C70-B622

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Good job.

Made my best ever fluffy pancakes this morning. Don't have any pics but the recipe was 300g self raising flour, 300ml milk, 1tsp baking powder, 1tbsp caster sugar and 2 eggs. I whisked the dry stuff together, mixed up the eggs and milk, brought it altogether and then left it for about 15 mins before I used it. Just came out perfect.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Good job.

Made my best ever fluffy pancakes this morning. Don't have any pics but the recipe was 300g self raising flour, 300ml milk, 1tsp baking powder, 1tbsp caster sugar and 2 eggs. I whisked the dry stuff together, mixed up the eggs and milk, brought it altogether and then left it for about 15 mins before I used it. Just came out perfect.

Nicked. 

23 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Good job.

That’s the same ratio I use for breakfast pancakes apart from I whack in cooled melted butter at the end. 

I tried to make them with buttermilk but not wanting to cue outside Sainsbury’s I looked up how to make it and the mix of white vinegar and curdled milk actually gave them a lovely consistency but a nagging vinegary aftertaste. The kids still ate them but you could see in their eyes there was a hint of disappointment that they couldn’t quite put their fingers on.