The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

I just bought a bread maker and the recipe book with it seems to suggest using milk powder when baking pretty much anything. 

I'm a complete noob, so just wondering if I can just substitute the water part for actual milk 1:1, and just leave out the dried milk altogether? 

Also, any other tips/suggestions for a novice baker? Cheers. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, stumobir said:

Had fun in the kitchen yesterday. Top image is a home-pickled cabbage, crab meat and satay dressing, the aubergine in the top right corner is baked then glazed with honey, served with yoghurt, pomegranate seeds and za’atar oil. Did a buratta too, with quick-pickled shallots, tomatoes and a fennel seed, oregano and basil dressing. Main course was pan-friend duck breast on celeriac purée with caramelised chicory, fondant potatoes and a port and red currant sauce.

Could’ve done with rendering the fat on the duck for another 5 minutes and I slightly over reduced the sauce but I’m happy with it.

Not pictured is the orange and cardamom creme brûlée, tasted alright but had a weeeeird af consistency. Too much sugar and over baked, I think. 

E1C2CC0F-776E-47E4-AD68-4996B23CB2DE.thumb.jpeg.4d49fd86451b8d1fa63a9b0bbe973b38.jpeg

I’d smash everyone of those plates. All look delicious, great work.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Silky Kisser said:

I just bought a bread maker and the recipe book with it seems to suggest using milk powder when baking pretty much anything. 

I'm a complete noob, so just wondering if I can just substitute the water part for actual milk 1:1, and just leave out the dried milk altogether? 

Also, any other tips/suggestions for a novice baker? Cheers. 

Milk powder is always suggested for bread makers as it helps the dough colour. Bread makers don't get anywhere near as hot as a regular oven so loaves can look pale. Still tasty though. The powder is absolutely not necessary, just leave it out. 

10 hours ago, chokeout said:

Korean fried chicken in gochujang sauce. My new favourite snack to cook. 

IMG_20201124_191919.jpg

That looks amazing. I've been to Kim Ji enough for their's over time, cant get enough of it, so that recipe will be a real god send, thank you

• Paid Members
On 11/24/2020 at 11:36 PM, Onyx2 said:

All Nicky's (Kitchen Sanctuary) recipes are good. Really good site and lovely person. Her YouTube channel is well done too. https://www.youtube.com/c/Kitchensanctuary

And quite easy on the eye if I may say so.

• Paid Members

Having fun with this breadmaker. It's nothing ground breaking, but these pizzas came out tidy. 

20201128_173355.thumb.jpg.fc96923c8012c1bbf207207f1255a228.jpg 

Only downside is everything we've made so far comes out quite 'heavy' and because I'm a gluttonous bastard, I'm eating a lot of it... I'll save that for the shitting thread though.