The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

19 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Got a recipe?

500g firm or extra firm tofu (pressed for at least 30 minutes)

3 to 4 tablespoons cornstarch

1 litre of oil (or amount needed for frying)

Garnish: Moldon Sea salt and dried chilli flakesĀ 

Ā 

Press it between 2 oven traysĀ  with something heavy on top, I used massive baked bean tins at work.Ā Ā 

Then coat in corn starch and fry in batches with the oil at about 180c

Drain well on kitchen paper.Ā  Salt it while still hot too.Ā 

Ā 

• Moderators
On 1/22/2021 at 8:27 AM, SuperBacon said:

*Bernie Sanders voice* I am once again asking for your tofu suggestions.

Apart from scrambling it or baking it (both I do quite regularly with wildly varying success), is there anything interesting I can do with tofu? Doesn't need to necessarily be a vegan/veggie recipe.Ā 

I've made this several times -Ā https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/spicy-braised-tofu

Very easy, and makes for a tasty quick dinner.

• Paid Members

I bought my fiancee the Mowgli cook book for her birthday, and we spent this evening making a few recipes out of it.Ā 

Ā 

We made chaat bombs -Ā https://app.ckbk.com/recipe/mowg93266c01s001r007/yogurt-chat-bombs

Then gunpowder chicken, a black daal, cardomom rice and tea-steeped chickpeas. It was very nice.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

chat.jpg

home made mowgli.jpg

mowgli.jpg

• Moderators

Sure. Boneless and skinless chicken thighs, flour and panko breadcrumbs, egg .Ā 

Seasoning in flour - paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, salt.

Coat the thigh in flour mix, dip in beaten egg, coat in panko crumbs.

Airfryer on 180C, spray chicken with oil spray, cook 8min, flip, spray, cook another 8 min.

The mayo is - mayonnaise, sriracha, honey, soy sauce.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Sure. Boneless and skinless chicken thighs, flour and panko breadcrumbs, egg .Ā 

Seasoning in flour - paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, salt.

Coat the thigh in flour mix, dip in beaten egg, coat in panko crumbs.

Airfryer on 180C, spray chicken with oil spray, cook 8min, flip, spray, cook another 8 min.

The mayo is - mayonnaise, sriracha, honey, soy sauce.

Sounds (and looks) delicious, will definitely be giving that a go on the air fryer. Thank you!

• Moderators

So dinner has combined the previously discussed fresh pasta with some more breadcrumbed airfryer fare..Ā 

20210124_175155.thumb.jpg.ef8092b30eb326463b238e2006c04df4.jpg

Ā 

Aubergine milanese. Thought I'd give this veggie alternative a go. It came out really well and I did enjoy it but also I don't think it's one I'm desperate to have again soon. I would say if you're interested in trying this make sure the aubergine slices as thick enough to be nice and juicy when crisp as I could easily see this dish getting a bit dry. My main take away from dinner though is that I think I've now nailed getting the pasta just the texture I like.

I've got to say, using 00 flour really makes a difference for me in the texture. I think it's well worth it. I bought a giant 20kg bag of the stuff months ago because I couldn't find a smaller one at the time but I've been making lots of pasta and pizza so I'm getting through it at a decent rate...

Ā 

Edit to respond to @Thunderplex - I can't say I've ever considered that. I can imagine that could be quite nice, particularly with some of the weird and wonderful crisp flavours about these days.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Made Pastitsio again at the weekend. Fantastic dish. Bottom layer is Rigatoni and Feta, second a ragu and top bechemel with cheddar cheese. Ten million calories but worth it.

One of those things you have to try once. Brilliant the next day and freezes well.

Ā 

CollageMaker_2021127185133537.jpg

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Tommy! said:

I've got hold of some fresh sardines, for people who can cook around here would you advise gutting them and cooking whole or filleting and rolling?Ā 

Ā 

You can do either, really - it depends on how you'd like to have them.

I found this really good recipe from Marco-Pierre White - he's at his full height as a fucking Knorr shill, but I have tried it, and itĀ isĀ delicious. Just replace the Knorr products with something else.

Ā