The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

On 7/14/2021 at 11:43 AM, Shy Dad said:

has anyone ever made their own sushi at home?

I have a couple of times. Think it cost about a tenner in supplies to set up but a bag of sushi rice goes a long way. It also depends on how fancy you want to get with your fish or fillings. It's fairly straightforward, the biggest nightmare I had was actually cutting the sushi in to pieces once it's rolled out. If I ever try it again I'll have to experiment with some better knives to get a cleaner cut.

• Awards Moderator
On 7/26/2021 at 6:21 AM, air_raid said:

Anyone know where I can buy blackcurrants in the North West?

You are a little early. While it should be now the cool spring has put the season back about 4 weeks. Give it another couple of weeks and your supermarkets should be full of them until late September.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

Potentially a stupid question but I'm wanting to make a goats cheese salad and I'm unsure if I need to cook the goats cheese first or if I can just use it straight out of the supermarket?

I’ve never seen Goats Cheese in a supermarket that says it needs to be cooked myself, but I’ll caveat that with I don’t buy it. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I've only ever used it out of the fridge, like cream and milk. 

Thanks a bunch! Going to pick blackcurrants in a bit and have a whole day of muffins, Liege waffles and cookies ahead of me.

• Paid Members

Don't suppose we're supposed to take away anything serious from Uncle Roger videos but I've only ever considered fried rice a side dish on an order from the Chinese so it's interesting to hear him talk about it, albeit in character, as a main meal his Mam would make. I make it quite often. Always do the rice in a morning or the day before and stick it in the fridge, so it's a quick, delicious thing to turn around. The missus enjoys a big portion of that on it's own or sometimes with chicken, and the kids love it too.

Anyone use MSG? I might get some and see what the fuss is about.

• Paid Members

Is MSG the ingredient that gives noodles the wet sloppy texture? 

My good lady takes packet noodles and throws away the little sauce/flavour sachets. Then she works her magic with fresh/frozen vegetables. It's nice. However not the same as when you add the sachets to the noodles.