The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Started my new job last week. Haven Holidays and Bourne Leisure have started a new apprenticeship scheme called the chef academy, where for 18 months we work and train up as chefs within the company. 

First meal challenge today was a ready, steady, cook style challenge with a bag of ingredients. 

Herb and cheese crusted salmon with mushroom and garlic crumb and a tomato, onion and piri seasoning sauce. Got favourable reviews and told i used textures and flavours well. 

Haven't let them know I've had you lot teaching me the last few years. Also have an extra photo of me looking apologetic as always. 

FB_IMG_1643055500680.jpg

Screenshot_20220124_185447.jpg

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

If my million hours watching rubbish cooking shows has taught me anything, don't serve your dish like your apologising.

It looks like its plated well and your confident with the flavours. So just describe it, smile and say thank you next time.

Oh absolutely. I don't actually think I was apologising at the time, I just seem to consistently pull this "butler in a haunted mansion" look every time I recieve praise or need to lean in to listen. 

Though saying that I was in no way confident on this. I've always thought I knew flavours but it was a little different serving to strangers rather than family. 

• Paid Members

Couple of the boys have been absolutely amazing looking after me while I settle into my new course and job and getting used to a new environment so I made them a full Beef Sunday Dinner (including my first attempt at making fresh Gravy and none of the powder stuff) as a Thankyou, using essentially a tiny chalet oven to do all of it as well. 

We're absolutely stuffed and they even did all the washing up for me as well. 

IMG_20220206_153721.jpg

IMG_20220206_162716.jpg

IMG_20220206_162821.jpg

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Where do people stand on Yorkshires with other meats? I love one on the side whether it’s pork or chicken on the plate, regardless!

If there's gravy then it's acceptable to have a Yorkshire pud. 

• Paid Members

Mentioned my chicken was too small for the group I was cooking for on the weekend so did it this afternoon and then used the leftovers for sandwiches for the rest of the week. 

Check out the crisp on that skin, tasted bloody glorious 

IMG_20220209_161027.jpg

Edited by Shy Dad

• Paid Members

I don't want this to turn into a photo thread of "look what Shy Dad did at work today" so please just request I stop (nicely if possible) and I will but we had a cook along with a chef today where everyone made fresh pasta and cooked it off with a general Tomato and Herb sauce and it turned out like this. 

Considering how often I absolutely ruined homemade pasta it was nice to pull out a decent attempt (and one that got a lot of praise) for the class today.

Was pretty cool to do a cook along with a chef from Saturday Kitchen and a few other TV shows too. 

IMG_20220215_113236.jpg