The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

GUMBO! Chicken and sausage gumbo, to be exact. Used the great Isaac Toups' recipe (though used beef sausage, and added okra to thicken the sauce), and it's turned out just as flavoursome as the jambalaya. Seriously, use these recipes; they're a lot of work, but they're delicious.

Recipe vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76JXtB7JFQY&feature=share&si=ELPmzJkDCLju2KnD5oyZMQ

IMG20221023192349.jpg

IMG20221023192352.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Because I’m dole scum, I will be spending my cost of living payment on fags and booze. However, I’m very easily led and give in to peer pressure very easily. As a result, I really want an air fryer. 

Are they any good? I’m thinking it’ll help with bills and eating healthy, plus doing fries in the evening without needing the oven sounds well lush. 

• Awards Moderator

Airfryers are great for any leftovers, great for anything that usually cooks in the oven. Heats up instantly and the small space with airflow means you're not paying for it as long as you would an oven.  Eg. 

image.png.00a80c5598d7e048367c1d5bb4333033.png

I use mine maybe 3 times a week? Chuck tinned potatoes straight in for 30 minute super budget roast potatoes. 

Edited by Onyx2

Brilliant! Sold to the tragic bloke with one lung!  I’m thinking I could either get one for about a hundred or so, or see what they have in Argos and use the store card and spread the payment for a year. I have heard of Ninja ones but is there any brands / sizes I should look for or avoid?

If there is not any good deals on Ninja ones get a Cosori. The ones around £100 are just as good imo. Always review really well. 

A very easy dinner is coating some bone in, skin on chicken thighs in some oil and any Dunn's River seasoning then air frying. Awesome crispy skin whilst the inside stays juicy. You can chuck any chops, fish, chicken etc in there and it will cook it perfectly with little effort. Great at cooking things like frozen battered chicken or fish as well.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members

Have a Ninja. It’s fine but no better then other brands I’ve used before like Instantpot or Philips. We got it because of the volume. Ours is essentially a small oven rather then a basket job which we had prior. So now we can cook multiple things, and bigger things as well. Go for the biggest you can afford and can keep on your kitchen side. Wait for Black Friday deals to really kick off.

• 3 weeks later...