The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Not to bore everyone to death with another post about berries but last weekend we had a second annual trip to the pick your own farm. Tickets for strawberries are in mad high demand so we just went unbooked for the blackcurrants and raspberries, and this year they've grown some chuckleberries - these are a hybrid of redcurrant, gooseberry and jostaberry, with a jostaberry being a hybrid of blackcurrant and gooseberry. They look barely distinguishable from blackcurrants, maybe not reaching the same peak of size, and flavour is pronounced blackcurrant with a hint of redcurrant coming through, but they start really sweet then end really sour, so a real experience. Mrs raid loves blackcurrants but now thinks chuckleberries might be even better.

We stopped by M&S and got some Red Diamond strawberries too and made four of a cake which amounts to a big  jagodzianka - its a yeasty, bready dough that basically gives you a sweetened bun filled with fruit with a crumble top, which you then dust liberally with icing sugar. We made one blackcurrant, one chuckleberry, one raspberry, and one mixed strawberry, raspberry and blackcurrant (Mrs raid used half the strawberries with some waffles later). Raspberry being my favourite, I considered it the best, she loved the chuckleberry.

I don't have the photos to hand but essentially, its this ;

https://gotowanietoproste.blogspot.com/2020/07/proste-ciasto-drozdzowe-z-czarna.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Lunch. Sweet potato Spanish omelette, with homegrown golden cherry tomatoes. First time trying this recipe, turned out well, even though I say so myself (which I do).

IMG_20220730_125703.jpg

• Paid Members

I have just made, and am eating right at this very moment, Cajun-style chicken and sausage jambalaya. I've had the Creole-style before, which is lush, but I thought I'd give this a go. It uses a dark roux sauce as a base, not tomato like the Creole one. And fucking hell: it's one of the best-tasting things I've ever made. 

IMG20220805182611.jpg

Here's the recipe video - a guy called Isaac Toups from New Orleans (where else?):

Edited by Carbomb

• 1 month later...

I've become a bit lazy with cooking, and put on a bit of weight, and want to be a bit healthier now I'm working from home quite a lot.

I also want to be able to cook the girls nice dinners other than just banging a pizza in the oven.

Looking for simple dishes (I'm not a great cook) that can use lentils (I seem to have a lot of these), pulses, veggies etc. Any recommendations welcome.

11 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I've become a bit lazy with cooking, and put on a bit of weight, and want to be a bit healthier now I'm working from home quite a lot.

I also want to be able to cook the girls nice dinners other than just banging a pizza in the oven.

Looking for simple dishes (I'm not a great cook) that can use lentils (I seem to have a lot of these), pulses, veggies etc. Any recommendations welcome.

I’m a fan of this spinach, sweet potato and lentil curry. It’s great for adding your own twist to as well to suit what ever you prefer. It’s quite basic but can be take in many directions  

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spinach-sweet-potato-lentil-dhal

59 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I’m a fan of this spinach, sweet potato and lentil curry. It’s great for adding your own twist to as well to suit what ever you prefer. It’s quite basic but can be take in many directions  

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spinach-sweet-potato-lentil-dhal

That looks absolutely spot on for what I'm looking for. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

I’ve been getting into loads of Greek recipes lately and made a cracking Stifado with Orzo pasta earlier in the week. It’s such an easy dish to prepare and tailor to your preferences - I like these kinds of things rich but if that’s not to your taste, you can easily lessen some of the ingredients.

Either get about 4-500g of diced beef or chop up a few steaks. I used two rumps and one sirloin for this one. Stick that in the slow cooker with some chopped carrots, a thickly chopped onion and your choice of mixed herbs. I used parsley, oregano and a bit of cinnamon.

Add a beef stock pot, your preferred amount of garlic and a big splat of tomato purée.

73CF6094-405D-4EAC-ADBB-6C68AD06111F.thumb.jpeg.bf6e2badda35478563b14e38e95777c9.jpeg

Stick in a tin of chopped tomatoes and about 400ml of beef stock. Stir it up and add a splash or two of red wine.

Drop in some fresh coriander then let it cook on high for about three hours.

7114E265-8B8F-4047-909A-8660019FB997.thumb.jpeg.8e17851b115f6730bc789a089892215c.jpeg

Stir it every half hour or so, then when the timer is up, add in a bag of Orzo pasta and another 5-600ml of beef stock - if you don’t want it too rich just add water instead. Stir it again and cook for another 45 mins.

40EA1413-8815-406C-B90C-744A99EE7941.thumb.jpeg.5405da226542e8bc85f6804239dc2961.jpeg

Be sure to stir it every five or ten mins so the Orzo doesn’t clump together and you end up with a gorgeous dish that’ll make four or five generous servings. It’s nice with some Parmesan, which also would have made the final picture more appealing. It was absolutely lovely and my neighbour enjoyed it so much he had a go of it the next day.

6E914BC1-B9E6-472A-847B-3F17CA8D0F15.thumb.jpeg.d912216a3afb927bf4c660726c6e635b.jpeg

Going to try a Pastitsio in the week as it’s another simple favourite.

• Paid Members

Nice one! And yes, Pastitsio (or, as it's more known around here because of all the Cypriots, Makaronia) is lush. The combination of lamb or beef with fresh mint and garlic is what really makes the flavour for me.

• Paid Members

Lunch today: a quickly knocked-up (noforoutofcontextyoubastards) corned beef hash, and, as a slight nod to my Northern heritage, bread and butter to go with it.

It's not a difficult recipe, but I'm quite pleased that I'm getting practiced enough at cooking and food prep that I can do a freshly-cooked dish that tastes decent in roughly half an hour.

Added thyme, salt, a load of pepper, bit of garlic paste, and a beef stockpot.

IMG20221018132452.jpg