The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Wasn't a winner but got a lot of praise about the quality of the sauce and that I made a better puff pastry than yesterday in less time (90 minutes start to finish including cooking time) so I can't be sad about it. Was a great experience leading a team to produce it too. 

Look at where you were 12 months ago.  I think you won that one.

• Paid Members

Dinner tonight. Mauritian meatball curry with pumpkin touffé, coconut chutney, and vegetable pickle.

Something unexpected: ended up putting in the cauliflower a bit earlier than usual, and it ended up breaking apart - but it thickened up the sauce beautifully. Will do that again, but maybe with only half the cauliflower at the beginning, and keep back the rest to put in later, as we want some florets intact.

IMG_20220307_185453.jpg

IMG_20220307_185438.jpg

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Dinner tonight. Mauritian meatball curry with pumpkin touffé, coconut chutney, and vegetable pickle.

Something unexpected: ended up putting in the cauliflower a bit earlier than usual, and it ended up breaking apart - but it thickened up the sauce beautifully. Will do that again, but maybe with only half the cauliflower at the beginning, and keep back the rest to put in later, as we want some florets intact.

IMG_20220307_185453.jpg

IMG_20220307_185438.jpg

Mate this is mad good! 

You may get a message in a day or two once I'm settled to get ratios for this. 

Cracking work. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Shy Dad said:

Mate this is mad good! 

You may get a message in a day or two once I'm settled to get ratios for this. 

Cracking work. 

Absolutely, man! 

• Paid Members

Hey that looks a banging dinner so absolutely got me on my heels. 

We've moved into a tiny caravan so it may be a few days before I work out how to cook in the size of a shoe but I've some mad ideas I can't wait to share here. 

You lot keep me inspired each day! 

• Awards Moderator

Discovered a brilliant free cookbook by a sort of American Jack Monroe type. It's about feeding a family on $4 a day (the US food stamp ration). But the recipes aren't poverty: big flavours and fun stuff abound. 

https://www.leannebrown.com/good-and-cheap.pdf

Disclaimer: I haven't cooked from it yet but the chicken adobo, broccoli apple salad, and chana masala are going into plan next week. 

• Paid Members

Sunday dinner. It's still a bit cold, despite the arrival of spring, so: Beef and Guinness stew with leek and chive crispy dumplings (dumpling recipe courtesy of YouTube's great John Kirkwood). Carrots, potatoes, leeks, mushrooms, onions, and butternut squash.

Used beef shin, browned then slow-cooked for about three hours. Roasted the mushrooms in a separate dish with the stewpot before putting them in the stew for the last half hour.

I adore this dumpling recipe; the parsley dumplings my mum used to make were lush, but this recipe is the absolute gold standard. They come out with a lovely, golden crisp on the outside, and a light, fluffy texture inside.

IMG20220320191028.jpg

IMG20220320191559.jpg

IMG20220320191916.jpg