The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Awards Moderator

Keep it up @Shy Dad! All these chefs you meet, trainees and pros, get to know them, swap numbers. This industry almost more than any others relies on having a little black book. One day you'll need a job quickly and chefs generally help each other out. 

If it helps, here's my dinner today. 

20220216_174925_copy_757x566.jpg.6ebba217cef1a4c45327449f3c36eaa1.jpg

Pancetta, leek and mushroom pasta. Creme fraiche for sauce. Make it all the time. 

• Paid Members

Quick one lads. Doing some chicken in a sauce, going to have onions and mixed bell peppers in it. Sauce I’m going to start with tomatoes and tarragon - what other herbs or spices might you recommend to go well with? I’ve got plenty to choose from. Mrs raid usually advises me but she hates tarragon.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Quick one lads. Doing some chicken in a sauce, going to have onions and mixed bell peppers in it. Sauce I’m going to start with tomatoes and tarragon - what other herbs or spices might you recommend to go well with? I’ve got plenty to choose from. Mrs raid usually advises me but she hates tarragon.

Paprika, whole black peppercorns, or maybe some saffron? White wine or brandy is good to add too. Don't forget to add a couple of bay leaves at the early stage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

It's not pretty and I could have been happier but today's challenge was essentially a "what do we have in our pantry you can make?" saw Sirloin steak, knew I could make pastry decided if a beef wellington had a shout. 

There's much I can improve on but for two hours work I smashed this out and throwing a sweet and sour sauce in to mess with the taste buds got mad reviews. 

FB_IMG_1646255140288.jpg

FB_IMG_1646255142768.jpg

• Paid Members

I really want to try those - the sweet & sour sauce makes it really intriguing.

I second ThommoLincs there; it's a genuine joy to see you not just getting it all together, but forging ahead. Serious kudos to you, man.

• Paid Members

Made it through to the final challenge where we need to make the same dish again but multiple covers of it in less amount of time but in teams of 3.

As one of the 7 finalists from 21 its actually really motivating me to smash this out today and try and win. Winners prize is a professional knife set donated by one of Havens distributors. 

6 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Made it through to the final challenge where we need to make the same dish again but multiple covers of it in less amount of time but in teams of 3.

As one of the 7 finalists from 21 its actually really motivating me to smash this out today and try and win. Winners prize is a professional knife set donated by one of Havens distributors. 

All the best! Let us know how you get in!

• Paid Members

Wasn't a winner but got a lot of praise about the quality of the sauce and that I made a better puff pastry than yesterday in less time (90 minutes start to finish including cooking time) so I can't be sad about it. Was a great experience leading a team to produce it too.