The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Lads. I cannot emphasise how big a game changer an air fryer is. I woke up thinking about the roast potatoes I made last night. 

Talking of game-changers, which recipe do you use for base gravy? Want to try it out, but there are lots of different ones on Youtube, it seems. Al's Kitchen's one seems pretty good, but so does Latifs Inspired, Get Curried, Hebbar's Kitchen, and Abdul Salam's Curry Club.

2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Talking of game-changers, which recipe do you use for base gravy? Want to try it out, but there are lots of different ones on Youtube, it seems. Al's Kitchen's one seems pretty good, but so does Latifs Inspired, Get Curried, Hebbar's Kitchen, and Abdul Salam's Curry Club.

This is the one I used but it’s adaptable. https://www.kitchensanctuary.com/curry-base-gravy-sauce/ 

My girlfriend can’t cook because of her ASD sensory issues so this is a great collaborative effort. She does the chopping and the spice mix and I handle the hob. It’s a personal thing but for us it’s one of the few times we can cook together. So when we have a curry it isn’t just the flavour we appreciate. We know we made it together. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

This is the one I used but it’s adaptable. https://www.kitchensanctuary.com/curry-base-gravy-sauce/ 

My girlfriend can’t cook because of her ASD sensory issues so this is a great collaborative effort. She does the chopping and the spice mix and I handle the hob. It’s a personal thing but for us it’s one of the few times we can cook together. So when we have a curry it isn’t just the flavour we appreciate. We know we made it together. 

That's superb; to me, that's sort of half the point of being able to cook your own food, the human experience of it, whether that's by yourself or with someone. I love cooking, and it's very satisfying when it all comes together. Right now, I'm loving making that Cajun jambalaya and gumbo that I've posted videos too - they don't just taste great, there's a lot of attention and care that goes into them.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Glad the airfryer worked out for you! Kitchen Sanctuary - Nicky - released a book earlier this year. It's a cracker.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09TR6XDL6/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0  available at non-Bezos places too.

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Al's Kitchen is what I use for all my BIR recipes. I have a massive vat of base gravy on the cooker right now actually. About to make my second curry out of it tonight before freezing the rest.

3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

This might be the loveliest thing I've ever read on here. That's so sweet.

• Paid Members

Can’t remember a day in the last 15 years that I’ve not used my airfryer.  Finally got my mum to get one.  She’s cooking full meals within 3 days of opening the thing.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Buying an extra portion of chippy chips to reheat in the airfryer the next day for chip butties is essential in our house now. Absolutely phenomenal stuff.

Every time!

• Paid Members

OK. The below channel is brilliant, and I'm definitely going to try out the recipe for keema - it's not too dissimilar to Mauritian spiced mince, but has a few extra layers to the cooking that I'm really intrigued by.

HOWEVER! The thing that really grabbed my attention are those paratha he has it with at the end. You can just hear how lightly crispy they are. I would love to know how to get them that crispy (well, the Mauritian version called farata).

Anyone got any tips?

Edited by Carbomb