The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

20230106_183538.thumb.jpg.c97029c6ba65a8970e48e8c7ed3c2d86.jpg20230106_183343.thumb.jpg.0a6b0894db2292cc8d106e3a32b77b4f.jpgDid a Big Roast Chicken in the Dutch oven on top of the carrots. Bunged some white wine and butter in there and did a sauce while resting it.

Proper Frankenstein of a gratin. Basically did dauphinoise without cream and bunged all of the Christmas cheese we hadn't eaten on it. Was delicious.

33 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Did a Big Roast Chicken in the Dutch oven on top of the carrots. Bunged some white wine and butter in there and did a sauce while resting it.

Proper Frankenstein of a gratin. Basically did dauphinoise without cream and bunged all of the Christmas cheese we hadn't eaten on it. Was delicious.

InfatuatedImaginativeCardinal-max-1mb.gi

Oh, wait... different Dutch oven. Never mind.

Looks great though!

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Who are we watching for Air Fryer recipes? I got the full fat Ninja 9.5l and so far Iā€™ve mostly made delicious meat and burnt vegetables. The meat really is delicious though. Which YouTubers are the best to teach me how to take it up a notch?

Ā 

Pro Home Cooks has done a whole bunch of air fryer videos. All worth a look.

Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members

Joined the air fryer club at Christmas at have used it pretty much every day since. Almost exclusively chicken wings and roast potatoes and as a result am now as backed up as the M20.

Ā 

Iā€™ll throw my, steadily increasing, weight behind Pro Home Cooks too. Good basic recipes without the filler you get from a lot of YouTube cooks.

• Paid Members

In the process of getting the kitchen done at the moment which has plunged Chez Mears into chaos and the ability to cook solely with a microwave.Ā 

Never been so excited about a purchase despite the cost and upheaval. We compromised on other stuff for a good sized kitchen when it's the one part of the house we aren't doing work on ourselves. Saved up for a 100cm Rangemaster and can't wait to start working through the chest freezer when it's in.

Plus we can finally do a housewarming when it's in, which I'm intending to be some Tudor style feast with copious joints of freezer meat.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

In the process of getting the kitchen done at the moment which has plunged Chez Mears into chaos and the ability to cook solely with a microwave.Ā 

Never been so excited about a purchase despite the cost and upheaval. We compromised on other stuff for a good sized kitchen when it's the one part of the house we aren't doing work on ourselves. Saved up for a 100cm Rangemaster and can't wait to start working through the chest freezer when it's in.

Plus we can finally do a housewarming when it's in, which I'm intending to be some Tudor style feast with copious joints of freezer meat.

I meant to give this recipe a go over Christmas and never got round to it. Still gonna try it, hopefully soon, as it doesn't have to be a Christmas drink (though I think it's probably the original eggnog from the sound of it), but if this piques your interest, maybe give it a go?

Ā 

• Paid Members

@Carbomb That looks right up my street. Old-timey cooking is one of my favourite YouTube rabbit holes at the moment. My December addiction to Christmas Pudding was mostly caused by this from Townsends, which is a channel dedicated to 18th and early 19th century recipes:

My cousin also got me this as a present and I love it:

Ā 

The American Heritage Cookbook by Helen McCully

Some wonderful recipes which sound like ring names or match types: Crab Louis, Hopping John, Kentucky Scramble.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

@Carbomb That looks right up my street. Old-timey cooking is one of my favourite YouTube rabbit holes at the moment. My December addiction to Christmas Pudding was mostly caused by this from Townsends, which is a channel dedicated to 18th and early 19th century recipes:

My cousin also got me this as a present and I love it:

Ā 

The American Heritage Cookbook by Helen McCully

Some wonderful recipes which sound like ring names or match types: Crab Louis, Hopping John, Kentucky Scramble.

Yeh, Townsends is one of the best channels on Youtube, hands down. As part of my attempt to contribute to the #deathtomegathreads campaign, I started a thread for Recipes On Youtube, and one of the main reasons I did was because Townsends was getting so much appreciation.Ā 

Unfortunately, I've only had the opportunity to try one of their recipes, mainly because it was the simplest one, which was Baked Onions - basically onions done like jacket potatoes. Very nice.

James Townsend has done such a brilliant job of making it both a recipeĀ andĀ a history channel, while at the same time making it look professional, authoritative, and entertaining.

Max Miller's channel, like you saw above, is also pretty good, considering he clearly has more limited resources. The graphics and music are a bit reminiscent ofĀ Judge JudyĀ and other American mid-day TV shows, but other than that, he's excellent at doing something similar to Townsends.

I've been determined to try making these at some point, and I will - just got to find the time:

Ā 

17 hours ago, stumobir said:

Joined the air fryer club at Christmas at have used it pretty much every day since. Almost exclusively chicken wings and roast potatoes and as a result am now as backed up as the M20.

Ā 

Iā€™ll throw my, steadily increasing, weight behind Pro Home Cooks too. Good basic recipes without the filler you get from a lot of YouTube cooks.

Oh man, roasties in the air fryer changed my life. May you tread the path the fryoneers paved for us. My current favourite is those part baked bread rolls. Stick em in the fryer for a minute or two and you get lovely bread thatā€™s warm and fluffy on the inside and crusty on the outside. Much like myself without the warm and fluffy bit.Ā 

• Paid Members

@CarbombĀ yeah, he manages a perfect fusion of history and food (basically the two biggest interests in my life) all while coming across as a a genuinely lovely bloke. Minor thing, but I find it refreshing that it isn't just screencaps of him gurning at the camera like a moron too.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Moderators

Oh no, the horror of seeing Pro Home Cooks in here! Personally can't stand that channel, although it's better than the previous incarnation "Brothers Green Eats", but maybe the dude is a pro with air fryers. That being said I seem to get annoyed with a lot of the bro chef channels like that, Ethan Chlebowski, Adam Rageusa etc - generally not impressed with what I see them make.

But while I'm here everyone should get aboard theĀ https://www.youtube.com/@LatifsInspiredĀ train