The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I want to preface this by saying I don't expect a shred of sympathy,

Mrs Mears and I are finishing up a holiday in the Italy and I booked us into a Michelin Star restaurant as a final meal. Beautiful view, excellent service, ferociously overpriced but we enjoy food and are lucky enough to be able to afford something like this once a year or so.

For the main, I ordered a cod and sundried tomato dish. I've been looking forward to trying it for days. My wife ordered something called 'interpretations of veal' or similar. Mains turns up and you'd think the waiter had curled one out on the plate. Turns out 'interpretations of veal' means all the bits no one wants to eat - liver, tripe, sweetbreads etc. It's that scene from Temple of Doom.

Chivalry evidently not dead in the Mears household, as I immediately wave goodbye to my cod (which looked absolutely divine) and gird my loins for what is to come. 'Yeah, it's fine love, I really like all this stuff' I lied.

I fucking hate veal at the best of times. Classic meat-eating hypocrisy, quite happy to eat some McNuggets but the thought of baby cow is somehow over the line. Bar a bit of liver and onions, also don't like offal - This plate is entirely offal - there's a few drops of sauce and nary enough greens to fill half a sandwich. I have nowhere to hide.

Harrowing. The sweetbreads tasted like Shrek's jockstrap, I have no idea why anyone does this to themselves. I watch as Mrs Mears eats my fucking cod while I'm paying to do a bushtucker trial. Back to the flat and write this while vomiting bits of brain and God knows what else up.

Maybe it's the dehydration from throwing up so much, but I feel a genuine sense of shame that I spent that money on something I hated so much. I could have given it to charity, someone on the street in need, blow. God, I hope it's all cleaned out of my guts before the flight tomorrow.

• Paid Members

Surprised about the sweetbreads (assuming you don't mean the bollocks), as I sometimes buy mutton sweetbreads from the local Turkish butchers for barbeque, and they taste great - don't even need marinade, just a bit of salt and pepper.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

image.thumb.jpeg.cfda2a1a49cf36857ac37f06e6ffe80b.jpeg

Not cooking but my shitty mini wraps for lunch with lettuce from the garden. Need to eat more lettuce because it's growing like fuck everywhere. Think my daughter dropped some seeds because it's even growing in the lawn!

Anyone else plant their own veg? We've got lettuce, as mentioned, carrots, beetroot, potatoes, cauliflower, peas, rocket and tons of herbs, pumpkins and tomatoes growing in various tubs and some beds we bought. We've even bought a little plastic greenhouse for the tomatoes and seedlings.

There's nothing better than seeing stuff grow, is there? I'm getting old.

• Paid Members

In my house, we're proud of our herb garden, and we do pretty well with flowers (despite the fact that the only thing guaranteed to grow in London soil is roses and brambles), but we end up with a very mixed bag of results when it comes to veg. We grow salad every year, but it's always a battle with the bastard snails and slugs. Never have any luck growing carrots, but we do pretty well with chillis and peppers. Potatoes are hit-and-miss - we had a decent crop of Desirées one year, but our Pentland Javelins did rubbish the next year. In fact, the most success we've had with potatoes has been when we throw out the off-cuts with sprouts on them - they take root in the parts of the garden that we wouldn't grow anything in, and they do well. But the quality of the soil in they parts isn't good, as it's got loads of spores and weeds that encourage slugs in it, despite our best attempts to clear it up, so we don't dare eat them.

• Paid Members

I'm trying chillies again. We planted seeds a few months ago but while our tomatoes and pumpkins have done really well, the chillies just never appeared. I've planted some more and after a few weeks, now have a few seedlings so fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Behold.

IMG20230805163944.thumb.jpg.86db33e7e1c749dddc52ae299806b694.jpg

We finally got one. Used it for the first time today - nothing spectacular, just roast potatoes, to get a general idea. They turned out perfect.

Looking forward to cooking all sorts of stuff in this.

• Paid Members

I’d start with the meal kits.  Easy to throw together and not that expensive to you find what you really like.  Fajitas are just stir-fried meat and veg with some sauces.  My best advice is to finish each dish with a squeeze of lime.  It’s like magic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

"Ya know what they call subway rolls in AldiEurope?"

metrorolls.thumb.jpg.4cd12e0932061be614df8f403ae6f60b.jpg

These were actually really nice. Used one for a Triple Cheese Special, done in the Breville. Good to have with some Youtube viewing.

sandwichandvideo.thumb.jpg.e06b6777a8483d389df3fb6da0eb49e2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...