The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Awards Moderator

I bought that book this year from a charity shop Rick. Even if you don't make the ice cream the cookie recipe is really good.

B&J ice cream base recipe is nice, but I find a prefer a custard-base ice cream. More creamy and luxurious, though ruinously fattening.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I bought that book this year from a charity shop Rick. Even if you don't make the ice cream the cookie recipe is really good.

B&J ice cream base recipe is nice, but I find a prefer a custard-base ice cream. More creamy and luxurious, though ruinously fattening.

When I've seen people making Ice Cream on YouTube, it's normally been with a custard base. There are three different bases in the book and in my memory, one of them was a custard one, but when I dug it out, it turned out they are two different cream bases and one with condensed milk. I'm gonna do a couple of different ones from the book, definitely the cookie dough, which I'll also make the cookies with, before I try something more adventurous.

Out of interest, I spent £1.30 on cream, the chocolate was £1.25, Oreos 89p and 75p worth of Eggs and around 60p worth of sugar. Not sure about the extracts and Milk as quite a small amount of each, relatively, but I'd estimate around 50p for them. So £4.49 for about 1.3l of Ice Cream.

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, deathrey said:

Is the B&J book good? I had no idea of its existence, may have to track it down.

The ice cream looks pretty good Rick, I've never tried making my own but think I may give it a go

It's much better than you think it would be, with lots of discussion about what goes into good ice cream and company history too. I got mine in a charity shop. There are plenty of second hand copies floating around eg WOB

Go check out Polar Ice Creamery on YouTube who really knows his stuff and likes to make B&J knock offs.

20 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Surprised you didn't post this, @Onyx2 - genuinely a good watch:

He’s far too modest for that!  But yeah Onyx, you’re super talented and make what seems daunting very approachable for novices. 

Real niche stuff here. My girlfriend has a sensory processing disorder, as a result all sauces I use in cooking have to be blended which isn’t an issue. She’s recently discovered that mango is used in a lot of south East Asian dishes and is intrigued by this, but cannot eat anything coconut, so anything with coconut milk is a no no. Would I be ok just adding mango purée to base gravy as a substitute? It wouldn’t be the same but could it work with a few spices?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

He’s far too modest for that!  But yeah Onyx, you’re super talented and make what seems daunting very approachable for novices. 

Real niche stuff here. My girlfriend has a sensory processing disorder, as a result all sauces I use in cooking have to be blended which isn’t an issue. She’s recently discovered that mango is used in a lot of south East Asian dishes and is intrigued by this, but cannot eat anything coconut, so anything with coconut milk is a no no. Would I be ok just adding mango purée to base gravy as a substitute? It wouldn’t be the same but could it work with a few spices?

Depends on what you'd be adding the coconut for - if it's for thickening, you could just add the usual slurry of cornflour dissolved in cold water, or, if she's gluten intolerant, arrowroot dissolved in cold water.

Edited by Carbomb
Had a complete wingus-and-dingus moment.

• Awards Moderator

Many thanks @Carbomb @Keith Houchen. I wouldn't post that recipe anyway as it's oddly specific and not for everyone. Fun fact, the fried egg in the thumbnail is an AI image.

@tiger_rick here is Heston's base vanilla recipe I usually start from:

20231114_125208.thumb.jpg.a4fc91c526da06d708d5e5fc2844e5a6.jpg

20 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Would I be ok just adding mango purée to base gravy as a substitute? It wouldn’t be the same but could it work with a few spices?

In a helpless and hopeless piece of cultural appropriation, I often add mango chutney to my curries just before I add say, tinned tomatoes (I did this only last week). You could then cook this all out to taste, blend then return to the pan for finishing. You get the mangoeyness (real word, look it up) plus additional spicing.

• Awards Moderator
22 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I am disgusted at that revelation @Onyx2. On behalf of all Punjabi's I condemn you.

Carry on as you were.

My work were doing a BYO 'food of black origin' event organised by the race and diversity committee. Many people asked if I was going to bring something, but how could I, as the most Warburtons of white men whose lineage has never left the Eastern counties of England as far as I can tell, rock up with his goat jollof? "This is how you do it."

611EFOQOiSL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg