The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Thanks @Carbomb and @Dead Mike that's really helpful and I can see some that I can easily make.

I really need to get over my fear of cooking chicken as 1.) It's ridiculous and 2.) I love chicken.

Bone in chicken thighs are easy to cook and are more forgiving than chicken breast. They can take a bit of over cooking without drying out. Just coat in oil and some herbs/spices and bung them in the airfryer or oven.

Is it fear of under cooking the chicken putting you off ? You can get decent meat thermometers of Amazon for less than a tenner. Very handy with chicken or any roasts to know when they are done. One of my favourite kitchen gadgets that gets loads of use.

4 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Is it fear of under cooking the chicken putting you off ?

It absolutely is yes. I catastrophise and before you know it, my chicken curry has killed me and everyone within a 10 mile radius.

Thank you so much for the advice I'll definitely get a thermometer.

• Paid Members

Get a slow cooker! You can bung all the ingredients in & not have to worry about coordinating timings, multiple pans or burning anything. We use our loads & not just for casseroles. 

• Paid Members

I agree with @Cousin Jim Bob about using thigh meat, especially on the bones (for flavour as well as cooking) - it's very difficult to dry them out through overcooking.

The other thing is that, if you make chicken dishes like a fricassee, i.e. cooking the meat in the pan and making the sauce with it in the pan at the same time, it becomes very difficult to undercook it, because you have to cook the sauce for some time, and the sauce will cook the meat for you.

BTW, a very basic point, but it can be forgotten: low-medium to medium heat is your friend. Cooking it on a high heat is the easiest way to cause the problems you fear, as it will be cooked outside but not inside.

Edited by Carbomb

14 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Get a slow cooker! You can bung all the ingredients in & not have to worry about coordinating timings, multiple pans or burning anything. We use our loads & not just for casseroles. 

Yep, I have one! And I have no idea why I don't ever use it. I'm an idiot, the last two pages have clearly shown. 

11 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

A good meat thermometer is essential.

Bring back Out Of Context.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Yep, I have one! And I have no idea why I don't ever use it. I'm an idiot, the last two pages have clearly shown. 

Bring back Out Of Context.

81L7Zfxe8LL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.edd1ca37460086729342f237c0f9641d.jpg

Pick this up (it's normally in The Works etc). It's excellent, super easy and most recipes are "chop ingredients, bung in slowcooker". There's evena  second edition called "Even easier".

Alternatively, https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search?q=slow+cooker is a great place to start.

Edited by mim731
“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity

3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

It absolutely is yes. I catastrophise and before you know it, my chicken curry has killed me and everyone within a 10 mile radius.

Thank you so much for the advice I'll definitely get a thermometer.

Honestly, I'm an almost lifelong vegetarian and I manage to cook chicken curry for my kids without poisoning anyone. Just try making it, it won't be as difficult as you think. I literally pull a piece out and try to break it with a fork, the texture is usually a giveaway as to whether it's cooked or not as well as the internal colour of the chicken. If it's not cooked, I leave it on the stove for another 5 minutes and then check again. If needed, I add a little bit of boiled water to add extra gravy/make sure it doesn't stick or burn.

Edited by deathrey

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Apologies if this is the incorrect thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good smoothie maker/blender? It doesn't have to be anything particularly high-end, just something I can throw a bit of fruit in in the morning to keep me off the bacon baps.

Thanks in advance!

I have a Nutribullet. It is a little on the expensive side but is excellent. You can use the container you blend with as your glass, you get a lid with it so can take it on the go if you wish. The blades are powerful, so I can use frozen fruit in it with no problem.

Pretty much zero effort cooking here but I found that putting just some Lee Kum Kee chili oil in plain rice is somehow one of the nicest things ever for how simple it is, I'm going to be trying different brands like Lao Gan Ma as I hear they have pretty different flavor profiles being from different parts of China.

The stuff is great in ramen, too.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Lao Gan Ma as I hear they have pretty different flavor profiles

There is quite a variety just within Lao Gan Ma, check out this video from the amazing Chinese Cooking Demystified channel

One of my regular meals is white rice, couple fried eggs, and lao gan ma on top. Delicious. The one with black beans is really nice.

On 3/19/2024 at 9:54 AM, Lorne Malvo said:

Apologies if this is the incorrect thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good smoothie maker/blender? It doesn't have to be anything particularly high-end, just something I can throw a bit of fruit in in the morning to keep me off the bacon baps.

Thanks in advance!

If you're that way inclined, I've just noticed Amazon have a fair few reduced in a new sale, including a nutribullet.

Seen a few supermarkets are doing cheap veg for Easter. Aldi's from Tuesday the 26th is 19p each for 2kg white potatoes, 1kg carrots, 3 large brown onions, a large garlic, a swede, a white or red cabbage and a bag of fresh rosemary.  If it is like the Christmas veg deals, you want to try and get there early each day.

Think I'm going to make a huge chicken stew out of them and live of that for a bit to save some money.