The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Awards Moderator
23 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The algorithm sent me this guy - https://www.instagram.com/sandwichesofhistory?igsh=eTVrdjB1Y24zMHI4

He makes sandwiches and is a bit like a cross between Brian Posehn and @Onyx2 .

It's very pleasing viewing.

I looked up Brian Posehn; I knew the name but couldn't place it. Looks like he's been in one episode of everything ever. 

Checked out Mr Sandwich and he seems like a nice guy so I'll take the compliment. Cheers! (anchovy and egg though? By Ken Dodd? Eh?) 

• Paid Members

I'd discovered this a few months ago, Red Eye Gravy, from a few different channels:

Sauce & Gravy Channel

Celebrating Appalachia

Initially, it sounded unappealing, but I was frying up some bacon one morning and thought "Well, I have to clean the pan anyway, so let's try it out". I put a bit of instant coffee in the pan while the heat was still on, swirled it around and reduced it a bit, and gave it a taste.

I liked it. I can imagine it would be a bit divisive, as the saltiness of the pork and the aromatic bitterness of the coffee are an odd combo, but for me it had a smokiness that made it taste like a proto-BBQ sauce. That makes sense, as BBQ has coffee in it.

Anyway, having had that a few times, I thought I'd mess with the recipe a little, so I cooked myself a breakfast of gammon steak, some eggs, and had them with some toasted Turkish bread we had left over from a meal at a local restaurant.

When it came to making the gravy, I put in the coffee, then some of the melted butter I cooked the eggs in - and then put some tomato purée, followed by a dash of honey. The result was very tasty indeed.

redeyegravysauce.thumb.jpg.3d131b0d0175185a6d1f2ab9f92b2ead.jpg

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

anchovy and egg though

I tell you something buddy we love that combo in the LOTM household. Scrambled egg with anchovy fillets on top and Gentlemans Relish (behave) on the toast. The proper name for it is Scotch Woodcock but we just think of it as a lovely alternative breakfast\brunch\lunch. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Couple from the past few days.

8 hour slow cooked lamb Leg. I adore this recipe. I've always struggled to get a roast lamb Leg how I want it and this takes all the work out of it (other than having to set an alarm on a Saturday to put it in the oven)

20240217_175446.thumb.jpg.5eb34547f9a829da60b6b81918b15eb1.jpg

It's a bit Plexy's breakfast, but a nice Monday night meal. Haddock baked with dill, Swiss chard, sugar snap peas, roast chickpeas and some wacky oregano wedge potatoes I did pn the fly.

20240219_184001.thumb.jpg.1096b96e43396e976637a49b6d5ff4ae.jpg

Can anyone recommend some really simple (and guys I am talking REALLY simple) healthy recipes for me? I really struggle to think or anything outside a chickpea curry, or a bolognese or simple pasta dish.

Quite open to most things but not keen on fish apart from tuna, and I do have a massive fear of cooking chicken as I'm a twat, but willing to give anything a go.

Have a blender and all that as well.

Thanks in advance.

• Paid Members

Shakshuka's a decent dish, and you can have it at any time of day. Easy to make - chop up some peppers, cook them with some passata, put in your spices, make some dips into which you can crack your eggs, cover, and serve.

Also, Minimalist Baker's Buddha Bowl is decent - mostly roast veg, and you cook some chickpeas in paprika and garlic, plus mix some tahini with a little maple syrup:

https://minimalistbaker.com/sweet-potato-chickpea-buddha-bowl/

30-minute-CHICKPEA-Sweet-Potato-BUDDHA-B

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Can anyone recommend some really simple (and guys I am talking REALLY simple) healthy recipes for me? I really struggle to think or anything outside a chickpea curry, or a bolognese or simple pasta dish.

Quite open to most things but not keen on fish apart from tuna, and I do have a massive fear of cooking chicken as I'm a twat, but willing to give anything a go.

Have a blender and all that as well.

Thanks in advance.

https://twochubbycubs.com/slimming-world-recipes/

I found loads of good recipes on this blog that are now staples. I've never been on slimming world so you can ignore the references to points etc. The 'fakeaways' section was particularly useful.