The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

I made this. It doesn't have a name because I pretty much made it up. It's fairly close to Pastitsio and on a lasagne vibe but it was just something I came up with for stuff we had in.

Top layer is a standard bechemel with loads of cheddar cheese and once cooled, an egg and nutmeg. 

Middle layer was a sausage ragu. Took the middle out of a load of pork chipolatas and fried them off, chopping them smaller and chucked in onions, tomato puree, tin of tomatoes, garlic, black pepper and oregano and just gave it half an hour or so or low.

Bottom layer was cooked pasta, Spirali, that I spread out, mixed in with one egg and more pepper and oregano.

Assembled the bottom layer, bit of mozzarella, poured over the ragu (added a ladle of cheese sauce first to help thicken it a bit) then the cheese sauce. Load of mozarella over the top and about 25 mins in the oven. 

Banging. Better than lasagne tbh.

image.thumb.png.46311b080c8bd632bff92851e42df568.png

I've also just got my first slow cooker. The meals aren't exactly picturesque but I've enjoyed cooking for the family. Done a couple of beef stews with dumplings, a banging sausage casserole and a slow cooked ragu that I made an actual lasagne with.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, King Coconut said:

Tried the @Onyx2 potato dauphinoise method yesterday and it's never leaving my repertoire!

Cheers. A brilliant chef called Jon Jones taught it to me, who used to make 5 30cm x 60cm trays of it for a posh London hotel every dinner so it's well tested! He's now a development chef for M&S. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, King Coconut said:

Tried the @Onyx2 potato dauphinoise method yesterday and it's never leaving my repertoire!

I'm 100% trying this over the next few weeks! @Onyx2 you have a really calming manner in these videos, makes trying some of these recipes way less intimidating. 

• Paid Members

I made these little key-lime pies at the weekend. First time trying it and they came out OK. Tasted like lemon to me but maybe I'm odd.

image.thumb.png.11b324d45e42718c0e4aa24d45b4fbf2.png

Also made a spiced shortbread while I was waiting. Used a "Cake spice" my brother brought me from America. It's pretty close to what they put in "Pumpkin spice" though. 

image.thumb.png.9572913f419e03316bced6450b303052.png

Also did a fruit crumble that I forgot to take pics of. According to the boss it was OK but not as good as this spiced apple crumble I made a couple of weeks ago. The "Cake spice" was used here too.

image.thumb.png.3dec9ae3db69392d183fe66e58736357.png

• Awards Moderator
6 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Tasted like lemon to me but maybe I'm odd.

My suggestion with limes is to never use a bog standard supermarket. It's one of those things worth going to either your greengrocer or Waitrose / M&S. The flavour difference is night and day. 

• Paid Members

Having some issues sourcing replacement labels for a bunch of my mums old Schwartz jars. Plenty to choose from online but actually finding one with all her needs is near impossible - fenugreek, Garam Masala, mace, mixed herbs and mixed spice seem to be mutually exclusive. On top of common ones, obviously, there are about 16-18 she needs. Found one set that had everything on eBay but the sellers sent it to the pickup shop Royal Mail no tracking so looks like it’s lost in a vortex and if it’s not got a collection code by 9th, eBay are going to refund us. Quite a few sets of 342 labels on Amazon but despite the labels coming with an index card none of the sites stocking them even carry a full list or a good quality photo of the list - there’s no point me buying a big pack with everything from Adobo to Coconut Oil if “mixed spice” is too much to ask.

Anyone had similar problems and found a solution?

Examples (review of 612 piece set : “Many labels of obscure items like bucatini and malt powder are there but common spices are missing like oregano , cloves and basil.”

Imagine flogging something claiming to cover every herb and spice (or seemingly tea, coffee, sugar and every other pantry item) that you could ever need and missing things like that. Yes, I need oregano for mama raid.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You have really confused and surprised me that that is a thing. I would just scribble on a normal white label and cut it up 🤷🏾

I reckon if she'd been happy with that, she'd have done it herself.

38 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Dymo

(Googles this) Interesting. Though mrs raid is insisting on "nice" as well as functional.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Got left with tons of sausages at the weekend that couldn't be re-frozen due to our football being off. Had to get cracking to ensure no waste as it's great stuff from our local butcher.

Started with a batch of slow cooker Sausage Ragu. My missus pronounces it r'gu, you can tell she's not from Hull. Might get some argument from @Onyx2 but I've gotta say, ragu/bolognese made with good sausage meat is far tastier than with mince. Texture and flavour just much better.

image.thumb.png.bf2d22eedd58afe3bfe67159b7c851b6.png

Added breadcrumbs to make a big batch of sausage meatballs. These are incredible with some marinara-style sauce with spaghetti or in baguettes. My missus had some chopped up with scrambled egg and cheese and beans for breakfast too.

image.thumb.png.124c328468796ce9c70222f7b1fcde8a.png

Sunday lunch. Toad in the hole, obviously.

image.thumb.png.780636cbe49f0a47f6279eaa4113e8df.png

What would you have done?