The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, neil said:

Oh no, the horror of seeing Pro Home Cooks in here! Personally can't stand that channel, although it's better than the previous incarnation "Brothers Green Eats", but maybe the dude is a pro with air fryers. That being said I seem to get annoyed with a lot of the bro chef channels like that, Ethan Chlebowski, Adam Rageusa etc - generally not impressed with what I see them make.

But while I'm here everyone should get aboard the https://www.youtube.com/@LatifsInspired train

I follow that one! Following the whole thing about base gravy, I trawled Youtube for recipes, and I've decided I'm going to try his - mainly because he uses ingredients that I have in the house (except Tez Pata, but there are places down the road from me where I can get those).

EDIT: Also, I posted in the Recipes On Youtube one about his keema curry, and about how I wanted to make paratha like he did, i.e. soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. The good citizens of the UKFF were very helpful with their advice.

Edited by Carbomb

I found the Brothers Green bordering on unwatchable as I found his brother extremely annoying. Pro Home Cooks as he got older and had a family seems much more chilled out now. I thought of them as more stoners appealing to stoned American college kids with the munchies back then tbh than bro chefs. His air fryer stuff tastes great and is for the most part simple enough for any home cook wanting to try new things with their air fryer that are not to complex. 

1 hour ago, neil said:

Oh you should see what his brother is up to these days then

One of his videos ended up in my Youtube Recommends ages ago and a quick look shows he is still doing the same thing. Basically being a hippie and stoned 24/7. I didn't hate him or think he was a bad guy just very irritating tbh. Can see why they split and fell out. His brother is getting hundreds of thousands of views every video, sometimes millions. He is lucky to get 1k.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

I have been given 900g of Feta Cheese (don't ask) which is a lot of Feta Cheese.

What can I do with it? Already got a pasta dish in mind (this one: https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/vegetarian/baked-feta-pasta/) but any other recommendations very welcome.

Also, I've gone chickpea mad, and apart from curry, have run out of ideas so again, all welcome. Cheers. 

16 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Possibly too complex for me, but I'm happy to give it a go :) Any tips?

It's not overly complex - just buy filo pastry, don't try to make it. I don't have a go to recipie as I've only made it a few times but my biggest tip would be to flavour the mix well and remember that spinach let's out a lot of water so squeeze it out before putting in the pastry.

• Awards Moderator

The pasta salad you've linked is great, there's a reason it blew up on tiktok. Feta works great in a salad with olives, parsley and red onion. Substitutes OK for paneer in curry recipes too. 

But you must try this Chef John recipe. It's incredible. 

24 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

The pasta salad you've linked is great, there's a reason it blew up on tiktok. Feta works great in a salad with olives, parsley and red onion. Substitutes OK for paneer in curry recipes too. 

But you must try this Chef John recipe. It's incredible. 

I didn't know about that, but it makes sense as it seems quite easy.

I just made pasta bolognese and crumbled some on top instead of the cheddar or parmesan I usually do and it worked well.

Also, I whacked a bit of baby spinach in the bolognese, but I think I put it in too early as it all but disappeared. (Maybe 10 minutes on an incredibly low heat/simmer)

1.) Have I gone too early?

2.) Have I used the wrong spinach?

I really am a massive cooking novice but want to learn and cook more for myself (especially when WFH) so I might be asking some really simple questions in here over the next few weeks.

My ex gets exasperated when I text her things like "Does putting wine in a sauce get you pissed?" so you lot will have to put up with it :)

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I have been given 900g of Feta Cheese (don't ask) which is a lot of Feta Cheese.

What can I do with it? Already got a pasta dish in mind (this one: https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/vegetarian/baked-feta-pasta/) but any other recommendations very welcome.

Also, I've gone chickpea mad, and apart from curry, have run out of ideas so again, all welcome. Cheers. 

Dice and roast a butternut squash(I also coat it in a little bit of paprika and cumin) and a red onion.
Toss a bag of mixed salad (rocket, watercress and spinach is best imo) in a dressing. 

Mix in the veg once it’s out the oven, crumble through your feta and top with some chopped, toasted walnuts if you have any. 

Edited by stumobir