The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• 4 weeks later...

Chickpea and spinach curry with brown rice.

spacer.png

spacer.png

"Alright Bacon lad calm down, we can all make that"

Well, yes. But as someone that eats ramen noodles most nights, and doesn't 'cook' unless the kids are here, it takes a massive amount of effort to make a 'proper' dinner for just me.

I am in the middle of a really shit bout of depression at the moment as well, so it took a HUGE amount to muster the energy to make this.

My onion chopping skills are still atrocious as you can see, and I actually used way too much spice, and it was too hot, but it was bloody lovely. Rice was decent for once as well (although obviously I now have enough for a week)

I was really pleased with it, and I got the spinach timing spot on this time. 

I do enjoy cooking, it's just motivating myself to do it. Any really simple recipes would be incredibly welcome.

Well done on doing it, buddy! It’s a real vicious circle isn’t it! Knowing a proper cooked meal lifts a few clouds and always tasted better, but trying to motivate yourself to do it can be like finding fresh tomatoes at the supermarket! 

• Paid Members

@SuperBacon I've recommended and will continue to recommend Spain On A Fork, because, as the guy behind it says, these are mostly very simple dishes that are easy to cook and pack with flavour. The Andalusian chickpea stew is now a staple dish I make every week or two, and the gypsy stew/olla gitana is an unusual but amazing flavour. Also, Spanish omelette is much easier to make than you think.

EDIT: You probably already know, but "garbanzo beans" is what they call chickpeas in America. 

Edited by Carbomb

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

EDIT: You probably already know, but "garbanzo beans" is what they call chickpeas in America

I didn’t know that!

This is a great recipe from our very own @Onyx2  I always remember the first time I took his sweet pork in my mouth and it exploded with flavour all over my tongue. 

• Paid Members

Good work @SuperBacon that looks delicious! 

In terms of straightforward recipes, I quite like the BBC Good Food website as they give you a difficulty rating on the dish (ranging from "Easy" to "A Challenge", so you can get an idea ahead of time of it's going to be tricky, or not, but you can also save all the recipes you like in one place so you have a little resource/mini cook book of your own to go to. 

I also like that they do recipe "collections" around a theme but also you can just search by name or keyword if you want something specific. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, mim731 said:

Good work @SuperBacon that looks delicious! 

In terms of straightforward recipes, I quite like the BBC Good Food website as they give you a difficulty rating on the dish (ranging from "Easy" to "A Challenge", so you can get an idea ahead of time of it's going to be tricky, or not, but you can also save all the recipes you like in one place so you have a little resource/mini cook book of your own to go to. 

I also like that they do recipe "collections" around a theme but also you can just search by name or keyword if you want something specific. 

I really don't use Good Food enough, it's bloody excellent. I found this recipe some years ago - was looking for a healthy breakfast option that didn't involve sugar or carbs, and found this one for Green Eggs. One of these days, I'm gonna buy some ham just so I can add it to the dish and say that I had Green Eggs & Ham (no, I don't care how childish that sounds).

• Awards Moderator

On 2/22/2023 at 8:09 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I didn’t know that!

This is a great recipe from our very own @Onyx2  I always remember the first time I took his sweet pork in my mouth and it exploded with flavour all over my tongue. 

12 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Loving casual expert pan tossing skills on display

How have neither of these gone in No Context yet? 

I'd forgotten that recipe. Genuinely very simple recipe. Handful of ingredients easily available in any shop. And swap the protein for any you prefer, or meat substitute. 

@SuperBaconmy man Adam Garratt hates fussy and difficult.

https://youtube.com/@Adam_Garratt

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Found a recipe on YouTube for chestnut cream soup, and made it. Very nice, quite rich, and easy to make. I would say it probably needs something with it with a deep flavour to cut through the richness (the recipe I found served it with foie gras, but fuck that), so I'm thinking that next time I make it I'll serve it with a grilled Portobello mushroom, or maybe I'll mix in smoked paprika. Anyway, for this first time, I had it with croutons.

IMG20230402133024.jpg

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Cracking Easter lunch with the family. Did a 13 hour slow cooked lamb shoulder and a (moderately less slow cooked) leg. Felt like doing something different than usual roast, so boulanger and parmentier potatoes along with asparagus, braised leeks and carrots. Definitely doing lamb joints like this going forward, beats all the ballache of getting the times right for rare which I'm shit at with lamb.

20230409_134239.thumb.jpg.2dff8f5de1ee35bb55fcbe58194310b0.jpg20230409_140637.thumb.jpg.19b44f17f9cbd64db3edb7aecb4eb3c4.jpgIMG-20230409-WA0004.thumb.jpg.67c12d8560255caa6caf8ddf660f14e9.jpg