The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

To avoid me going to the pub once I start work again and have two days in a row off each week I've picked up my chef hat again and started to plan a ton of different things I want to perfect to cook so I have that skill back up to scratch again.

So my morning has been cooking fondant potatoes. The entire house smells fantastic and the carb intake for the day is already dangerous. It's hard to take a good photo of just potato so I'll try and put it together with a full meal later in the week.

I guess I'm posting just for some inspiration. Like I wanna learn how to do a lot more with fish but has anyone ever made their own sushi at home? It's kinda one of those "have the house to yourself all day Tuesday" challenges I'd quite like to do. Would a somewhat complete novice have any luck with it?

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

So my morning has been cooking fondant potatoes. The entire house smells fantastic and the carb intake for the day is already dangerous. It's hard to take a good photo of just potato so I'll try and put it together with a full meal later in the week.

Bloody love fondant potatoes. Learned how to make them a few months ago, and they've now become a regular feature with our family dinners. I used this recipe, but I'd love to know if you do anything different. Also, which potatoes do you use? So far, I found that Vivaldis make the best, very smooth, perfect for the fondant texture.

On 7/12/2021 at 1:20 PM, Mr_Danger said:

Anyone dabbled with the meal kit subscription services? My lady got some free Hello Fresh weeks and I’m really impressed with the overall quality. She isn’t the most confident of cooks whilst I’ll have a crack at most things but she made one of their aubergine curry’s that was quite easily one of the nicest curry’s I’ve ever had and it didn’t even have meat in it. We won’t carry on with the subscription because it’s not very convenient when we have the kids to feed as well but for childless barren happy people with a disposable income it’s a great service. 

If nothing else it’s motivated me to start cooking properly a bit more again.

I have had the Hello Fresh ones a few times on trial and such and really enjoyed them.

I really enjoy cooking when I do it, but am not confident at all. I also find it incredibly hard to motivate if the kids aren't here and I'm just cooking for myself. I also fucking hate shopping and forget everything I need when I enter the shop (yes, even with a list).

So the boxes worked out really well for me when I've had them, with all the quantities there for you and in one bag, and the meals I've made have been fantastic, and I like that you can choose them weekly.

Not sure if I can justify the cost of them regularly, but I haven't done any cross analysis to be honest with you. 

• Paid Members
On 7/12/2021 at 1:20 PM, Mr_Danger said:

Anyone dabbled with the meal kit subscription services? My lady got some free Hello Fresh weeks and I’m really impressed with the overall quality. She isn’t the most confident of cooks whilst I’ll have a crack at most things but she made one of their aubergine curry’s that was quite easily one of the nicest curry’s I’ve ever had and it didn’t even have meat in it. We won’t carry on with the subscription because it’s not very convenient when we have the kids to feed as well but for childless barren happy people with a disposable income it’s a great service. 

If nothing else it’s motivated me to start cooking properly a bit more again.

If you want to try more curries but dont want to do the Meal kit subscription, try tastesmiths, fresh ingredients and spices but you can chuck the packs in the freezer, just need to get your meat / veg for them and they are lovely.

Checked the date on this weeks stuff and all the meat went off by the Monday and it was only delivered Friday! Missing some spinach and prawns too. It’s like they knew It was out last week with them and they could fuck us over to give us credit for the following week this enticing us back! In the words of Leo Getz, they fuck you with the offers!

• Paid Members

We did a trial with Hello Fresh and it was nice but wouldn’t say worth subscribing to if you do a lot of cooking anyway.

Here’s the recipes we got. The Tacos were really tasty to be fair.

B613412D-8AB1-41BF-893B-FA9C147C84DA.jpeg

82B333FC-0FB1-46AF-B1D1-87EA49F96D73.jpeg

114C2302-2969-4715-A8B2-8258E510D9BA.jpeg

D8FAD2E5-B898-4FA7-98EF-3E2FB85A1675.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Those looks absolutely sublime. Coincidentally, we're making them this evening! Been experimenting with different potatoes and different stocks - last time, we used this Italian porcini mushroom stock that this local place sells on import, and it was delicious. Vivaldis are still the best so far, but Maris Pipers and Roosters work really well too.

• Paid Members

Update: tried them with a Knorr Rich Beef stockpot </marcopierrewhiteadvert> and they were absolutely bloody delicious. That's one to keep for regular.

• Paid Members

Did an authentic Carbonara tonight. Used Pancetta as couldn't find Guanciale but I did go to the bother of getting Pecorino cheese.

I didn't have it, no carbs at night for me, but did nick a bit from the leftovers and it was really good. So creamy, despite not having cream.

CollageMaker_2021725194635271.jpg

• Paid Members

Yeah, it was dried wholemeal spaghetti. Will try it again. Gonna try and find Guanciale too.

Only used egg yolks for the Carbonara so I had egg white omelette (1 whole egg, 4 whites) with veg and feta. Less than 300 calories and pretty great.

20210725_192357_copy_1008x756.jpg

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Did an authentic Carbonara tonight. Used Pancetta as couldn't find Guanciale but I did go to the bother of getting Pecorino cheese.

I didn't have it, no carbs at night for me, but did nick a bit from the leftovers and it was really good. So creamy, despite not having cream.

CollageMaker_2021725194635271.jpg

It looks nice. Try it with Bucatini instead of Spaghetti. I live in Bradford and we're really lucky to have a good deli in the market that has Guanciale etc. My Grandma was Italian and her cooking was amazing. My cooking is nowhere near the standard that her's was, but I keep trying. 

• Paid Members

Anyone know where I can buy blackcurrants in the North West? Fresh don’t seem to exist for supermarkets and places that deliver frozen seem to only want to sell you catering/pro kitchen quantities at a time or have £40 minimum orders for deliveries. Before I start harassing any pick-your-own farm I can find, does anyone have anywhere they can recommend if they’ve sourced blackcurrants in the area?