Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

5 hours ago, Supremo said:

Worst signing in ages. I think he’s absolutely rubbish. Boring, with a crap look. His gimmick is right out of a mid-2000 e-fed, too.

I've seen about a dozen matches of his in 2018 and had already made my mind up to nominate him as worst wrestler in the 2018 awards, so was stunned to read the news this morning that he's heading to NXT.

Personally Punishment is one of the few on the ROH roster who actually interests me. Him, Dalton Castle and Gresham are all I give a shit about there anymore. Hoss who can do mad shit and has a cool deep voice + spooky laugh. Inherently more interesting than Corbin. Very inconsistent and unpolished but I've thought for a while Vince could (and does) do loads worse 

He's an interesting wrestler, he had a hilarious botch fest with Soberano Jr. (who in fairness arrived late to the venue that day) but then later in the month showed people the match he wanted to have with a great little sprint against Marty Scurll, who im not a big fan of.

His good moments are very good and I think he'll bring enough character value that he'll do better in WWE than people who are superior wrestlers such as Keith Lee

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

He’s shit, and the name Punishment Martinez is worse than anything the 2012 NXT Name Generator ever conjured up

You clearly haven't heard of fellow ROH wrestler Beer City Bruiser.

But aye, Martinez is the drizzling shits. The rest of the ROH roster, bar a few main eventers and the likes of Gresham, is dreadfully stale too.

Yeah. I got The Dudley Boyz Straight Outta Dudleyville with the limited edition slipcase that has fold out table legs. I also saw a while back they had the Sainsbury's exclusive slipcase edition of WrestleMania XXXI which is the main 4 matches and the Brock Lesnar v Roman Reigns quarter has a image of Seth Rollins inserted in the background in reference to his cash in during that match, so I got that. It's mainly a load of the comps they have in that sale, but not a bad choice.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Pinc said:

The notion that every feud/match/storyline must get a young guy over, or else it hasn't 'accomplished' anything, is among the worst wrestling tropes around.

You're right that not everything should have that aim and I never had a problem with that rumoured Rock/Trips match for that reason. However a big problem with the last decade or so is that every big star who has popped in for a few appearances has left nothing when they've left. The rise of Daniel Bryan is possibly the only exception but that was a fluke. Maybe Roman although he was "made" long before he beat Taker.

Not every story should make someone but surely at some point, you've got to try with one.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Kairi Sane, Io Shirai and Mauro Ranallo were all shown in the crowd last night at the New Japan show, in the past wrestlers have been punished for that, do we reckon the same thing will happen? 

Kairi has tweeted a photo of herself backstage with Juice so clearly she doesn't think so. And I doubt they will, and why should they? From Liger being on a TakeOver to Tanahashi and Aikawa being allowed backstage on one of their shows, they acknowledge there exists a world outside themselves.

Nobody got in trouble here either.

IMG_20160830_214353.jpg

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Kairi Sane, Io Shirai and Mauro Ranallo were all shown in the crowd last night at the New Japan show, in the past wrestlers have been punished for that, do we reckon the same thing will happen? 

I suspect nothing will happen. It feels like it’s a very different time now. You’ve got the New Day doing video game tournaments with The Elite, Kevin Owens describing Juice Robinson as the best promo in the business on Twitter and Daniel Bryan openly talking about what an achievement, “All In,” was in press interviews. It’s nothing like it was back when that poor chap in the Highlanders was shown in the crowd during a TNA show.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I suspect nothing will happen. It feels like it’s a very different time now. You’ve got the New Day doing video game tournaments with The Elite, Kevin Owens describing Juice Robinson as the best promo in the business on Twitter and Daniel Bryan openly talking about what an achievement, “All In,” was in press interviews. It’s nothing like it was back when that poor chap in the Highlanders was shown in the crowd during a TNA show.

also, that Highlanders thing happened when TNA were trying to be a legit #2 promotion (pun intended) rival to WWE with the going live on Monday's, Hogan and Bisch. It was a different time

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Supremo said:

Counterpoint: Jimmy Jacobs getting sacked over the Bullet Club photo. (to whit it's the kind of reason they'd come up with if they wanted to find one to get rid of you)

Edited by seph

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

Jimmy Jacobs is a lot more expendable than all of the people mentioned in that post.

See my edit.