Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

He's changed his finisher a lot over the years. I quite liked his "Dropping The Dime" springboard legdrop. The seated senton/Moshpit was good too. Whilst I do love a good, simple splash, I prefer it done by bigger guys - doesn't quite look right on smaller guys to me.

26 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I felt bad for Rey. He came out, kitted out in black and with the ECW logo embezzled on him, killed himself and worked a harder style than usual, only for the backwash edgelords to boo him. 

I know the cool thing around here is to moan about when other wrestling fans moan, but that’s just bollocks. 

He came out wearing black and you think that means the fans should automatically cheer him while he wrestles a popular ECW mainstay? Is that really how low you set the bar? 

Pretty sure when he came out no one knew he was going to wrestle a harder match than usual, but then was treated more fairly as the match progressed. Then it got shit on for them going to a non-finish because why wouldn’t it. 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I know the cool thing around here is to moan about when other wrestling fans moan, but that’s just bollocks. 

He came out wearing black and you think that means the fans should automatically cheer him while he wrestles a popular ECW mainstay? Is that really how low you set the bar? 

Pretty sure when he came out no one knew he was going to wrestle a harder match than usual, but the was treated more fairly as the match progressed. Then it got shit on for them going to a non-finish because why wouldn’t it. 

I think the same fans who would chant "She's a crack whore!" at the women deserve every bit of shit and ridicule I can muster.

Yeah, I do think he was treated unfairly my them. From the very start you could tell this wasn't WWE Rey and any other human being would feel the hostility was way overboard. They like him when he's when he popping off 'ranas from balconies but nah, he takes a WWE paycheck now therefore he's a 'sell out'.

Also, weird how WWE mainstays Jericho, Eddie and Benoit didn't get a frosty reception despite them phoning it in for the show.

Bollocks to the fans, mate. And I'm saying that as an ECW fan.

Mysterio was getting the same reactions from WWE fans at that time though.

Since winning the Rumble he lost his title shot the next month, then regained it for some reason and won the Title, then lost more televised matches than probably any other World Champion in history before losing the belt soon after the ECW ppv.

I'm not naive enough to believe SOME of the ECW fans had their own agendas that night but I don't think the overall reaction to Mysterio was that different to anywhere else.

5 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I think the same fans who would chant "She's a crack whore!" at the women deserve every bit of shit and ridicule I can muster.

Yeah, I do think he was treated unfairly my them. From the very start you could tell this wasn't WWE Rey and any other human being would feel the hostility was way overboard. They like him when he's when he popping off 'ranas from balconies but nah, he takes a WWE paycheck now therefore he's a 'sell out'.

Also, weird how WWE mainstays Jericho, Eddie and Benoit didn't get a frosty reception despite them phoning it in for the show.

Bollocks to the fans, mate. And I'm saying that as an ECW fan.

You could tell this wasn’t the usual Rey when he walked out? Just because he was wearing black? Yeah you have the bar set too low.

It isn’t weird that Jericho, Eddie and Benoit got good reactions. It proves my point that the fans weren’t just being dicks for the sake of it. Rey was booed for his character and who he was wrestling 

How the fuck is Rey still going?  His knees were absolutely destroyed by the end of his last run in WWE, and that was years ago.  Even if he's had a double knee replacement he's running the risk of ending up in a wheelchair.  Seems like a risky signing, but I guess he's made it through the physicals somehow.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, UK Kat Von D said:

You could tell this wasn’t the usual Rey when he walked out? Just because he was wearing black? Yeah you have the bar set too low.

It isn’t weird that Jericho, Eddie and Benoit got good reactions. It proves my point that the fans weren’t just being dicks for the sake of it. Rey was booed for his character and who he was wrestling 

It was obvious that his choice in outfit was there to say "Yes, this is ECW Rey, not WWE-style Rey". That's got nothing to do with how low my expectations are, it's me looking at something and understanding that there was a bit of character work going on. If anything, your reaction to that opinion sets your bar incredibly low. 

And I think it does prove that the fans were being dicks for the sake of it. Jericho comes out in his ECW attire, works a passable match with Storm, gets cheers. Eddie and Benoit come out, barely get out of first gear, gets cheered. Out comes Rey, obviously sporting a customised look to appeal to the ECW fans, works his arse off, gets booed mercilessly. Yeah, he's working a face Sabu, but face-face matches don't tend to have one of them get shit on. Benoit/Eddie can be considered as a Face vs Face match, yet both men were received well from the get-go.

Just face it; ECW fans could be arseholes and they came out in their droves during that match.

Difference being, the Benoit v Guerrero match and the Jericho v Storm match were on the first ECW show, so they were all there representing ECW.

Sabu v Mysterio was on the second one, where most matches were promoted as WWE vs. ECW.  Mysterio was there representing WWE, the same way Cena was, the same way Orton was.  Him having ECW on his gear looked like sucking up to the audience which probably made them boo him more.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Side note, but I think Jericho put in a very decent shift. Him and Lance Storm had a cracking opener I thought. Benoit VS Guerrero was massively disappointing. Isn't there a story somewhere behind this? Eddie wasn't in the right mood whereas Benoit was trying to get something out of him, but couldn't.

Regarding the Guerrero/Benoit match at ONS - From Cultaholic

Eddie Guerrero versus Chris Benoit was the dream match that ECW booker Paul Heyman desperately wanted to put on but was never able to after Benoit, Guerrero and Dean Malenko were signed by WCW in 1995. At ECW One Night Stand in 2005, Heyman tried to right that wrong by booking the match he'd wanted to see in an ECW ring a decade prior. 

Latino Heat was coming in hot off a heel turn and was in the middle of a deeply intense feud with Rey Mysterio, whereas Benoit had just been transferred over to Smackdown days earlier. When informed that he would be putting his real-life best friend over clean, Guerrero was not happy. He believed that suffering a clean loss on a major pay-per-view would seriously hurt his momentum, especially considering he was booked to lose repeatedly to Mysterio as well. 

So, going into the match, he was angry. Then he became even more agitated when the fans in the Hammerstein Ballroom elected to spend most of their time aiming derogatory chants towards the WWE invaders who were situated in the balcony. Adding to his woes, Eddie suffered a cut to the nose during one of the match's early exchanges and had to take a breather to regain his composure. 

Didn't work. Guerrero was p*ssed and, in response to the fans and those that had booked him to lose, he purposefully entered a lacklustre performance. What could and really should have been an epic between two storied rivals and industry veterans was instead 'just OK'. While it wasn't an out-and-out stinker, everyone knew they were capable of so much more and it looked even to the casual viewer as though Guerrero was uninterested throughout. 

Including The Crippler, it seems, who had some stern words for his road buddy after the match both in the ring and backstage. At one point, Eddie can be seen to mouth 'I owe you one', perhaps an admission of culpability and a promise to have a better one together further down the road. Guerrero left the arena immediately after his match, neglecting to stay around for the end of show celebrations. 

Really smart move for her, especially opting to go for an all vegan cruelty free range (which always helps make up brands take off quick.) If she can get the right brand embassadors on board she’ll be set money wise for life.

Moving into cosmetics was one of the first things I thought of when her in ring career ended