Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

I think as well as the "not being Daniel Bryan at the Royal Rumble" heat some of the fans were getting tired of his whole gimmick being that he's paying tribute to Eddie Guerrero.

2 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

I recall very little of Rey's career after about 2011, was he ever getting the boos much apart from that Royal Rumble with the tantrum about him not being Daniel Bryan? 

I think the Eddie stuff and the following shitty title reign damaged him a lot. I remember a match at the Rumble vs heel Edge with Vickie where the crowd were almost unanimously on Edge's side. Also remember people cheering heel Y2J for their (fucking awesome and not remembered enough) title vs. mask feud. WWE have an uncanny ability to make anybody boring, especially good guys.

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I think as well as the "not being Daniel Bryan at the Royal Rumble" heat some of the fans were getting tired of his whole gimmick being that he's paying tribute to Eddie Guerrero.

The 619 had been getting boos from the smarks for years, for some reason. They hated that move after a while.

He's had a few that I've seen, yeah. Check out his WCPW/Defiant stuff against Ricochet/Ospreay (it's on YouTube). Also his Lucha Underground stuff against Ricochet/Prince Puma. 

Rey's been having stem cell injections in his knees the last little while and it seems to have done him the world of good. He's also got in incredible shape and lost a lot of the flab/water weight he was carrying at points during his WWE run. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Has Rey had any good 1-on-1 matches since he sorted his knees out?

I've seen him pop up in NJPW and, of course All In and he seems to only do a few spots in tag matches.

Didn't he have a match over here with Styles before he was signed? I wonder if that was any good.

• Paid Members

Rey got tons of hate at ONS '06 from what I remember, where the fans booed him for some reason during his match against Sabu.

I can't see where he fits in the roster though unless he becomes the flag bearer of 205 Live. Sticking him on that show gives him an excuse to not wrestle a TV-style match every week considering how short it is. Stick the the title on him, give people who normally wouldn't care about 205 a reason to tune in. One week he can be wrestling a 10 minute match, the next he's doing an angle or interview, then the next week he's involved in some sort of tag or multi-man before his next singles match. It's be easy on his body, thats for sure.

Perhaps he is being used to helm the Mexico expansion that HHH keeps dribbling on about?

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Rey got tons of hate at ONS '06 from what I remember, where the fans booed him for some reason during his match against Sabu.

I'd imagine that was down to 1. Sabu not having been seen for a while, and not having been on WWE TV as frequently as Rey (sort of an "absence makes the fart go Honda" type thing), and 2. whilst he was in ECW, he'd been long enough in WWE to establish himself as having fit right in as a crowd-pleasing, kid-friendly, colourful cartoon character - everything that ECW fans supposedly hated and saw as the opposite of what ECW stood for.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I'd imagine that was down to 1. Sabu not having been seen for a while, and not having been on WWE TV as frequently as Rey (sort of an "absence makes the fart go Honda" type thing), and 2. whilst he was in ECW, he'd been long enough in WWE to establish himself as having fit right in as a crowd-pleasing, kid-friendly, colourful cartoon character - everything that ECW fans supposedly hated and saw as the opposite of what ECW stood for.

I felt bad for Rey. He came out, kitted out in black and with the ECW logo embezzled on him, killed himself and worked a harder style than usual, only for the backwash edgelords to boo him. 

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

He's had a few that I've seen, yeah. Check out his WCPW/Defiant stuff against Ricochet/Ospreay (it's on YouTube). Also his Lucha Underground stuff against Ricochet/Prince Puma. 

Rey's been having stem cell injections in his knees the last little while and it seems to have done him the world of good. He's also got in incredible shape and lost a lot of the flab/water weight he was carrying at points during his WWE run. 

31 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Didn't he have a match over here with Styles before he was signed? I wonder if that was any good.

Thanks. I'll definitely have a look for some of those matches later. He's definitely good for a few spots a match.

I was wondering if he's had stem cell injections, considering how useless his knees were for so long after so many surgeries, and now he's back in the tights and his legs are not mostly made up of braces now.
Same with The Undertaker, seeing as he seems to be good for a few matches a year now without his body breaking.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I felt bad for Rey. He came out, kitted out in black and with the ECW logo embezzled on him, killed himself and worked a harder style than usual, only for the backwash edgelords to boo him. 

That's more like something Heyman would do.

But yeah, I felt bad for him too. Whilst I don't completely dismiss the motivations of ECW fans to leave WWE or WCW to watch ECW, as there were some legitimate complaints about the mainstream products at the time, they were the original neckbeards/fappers/Dem Wans (strike out which do not apply) who created this culture of deluded snobbery as regards independent wrestling and which wrestlers fit the "scene". I'm not a Cena fan, but even I found that bit hilarious where he's holding the belt, laughing and grinning this massive shit-eating smile while some scrote screams and boos right in his face.