What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Panel shows are terrible for the most part but I really like Would I Lie To You? Even more so when Bob Mortimer's a guest.

Bob is the absolute king of that game. I wish he was always on.

Absolutely. His one story a few weeks back about 80s haircuts was a thing of beauty. 

• Moderators

Weird how he reinvented himself through written columns as some well-respected, well-thinking social commentator. Every time someone retweets one with "Frankie Boyle talking sense about being compassionate to immigrants again" or whatever, I think, yeah, same Frankie Boyle who made his career off of jokes about Jordan's 'mong' son trying to rape her, is it? Or his TV show that was all jokes about black men having big dicks and being great at prison rape.

He's a guy who really frustrates me because of the fact that he's capable of writing and saying clever and funny stuff, but turns out so much unfunny shock material.

I can't think of a better example than his book. Which had some chapters where he's telling a story, which are really fin and interesting to read, and this is interspersed with chapters that are basically his stand up material in written form that I literally had to just skip past because it was unreadable shit.

For me he's always been both of these things, rather than having undergone any kind of transformation. His columns are worth reading and sharing as they tend to be a safe space from his shittier side.

Panel shows are terrible for the most part but I really like Would I Lie To You? Even more so when Bob Mortimer's a guest.

Bob is the absolute king of that game. I wish he was always on.

I've never mind panel shows like Would I Lie To You and QI where it seems relaxed and just a bunch of guys hanging out having fun as opposed to shows like Mock The Week, 8 Out of 10 Cats and Cats Does Countdown where everyone is fighting to get their joke or bit of stand up in and be the funniest one in the room.

A lot of stand ups hate doing Mock The Week as it's a very cut throat atmosphere while recording with everyone trying to butt in with their joke before the topic moves on in the hopes that theirs makes the edit. They feel like they have to do it to get the exposure on TV. Once comedians get their own show or just don't need to do MTW anymore, they quit it as soon as.

Katherine Ryan must be racking it on the panel show circuit. 

• Paid Members

He was on Question Time last week. Andy's a good stand-up. Seen him a couple of times and his material, mostly political, and structure was good. Very enjoyable. He knows his act and he knows his audience. He's not ground breaking but he is funny.

• Paid Members

He was on Question Time last week. Andy's a good stand-up. Seen him a couple of times and his material, mostly political, and structure was good. Very enjoyable. He knows his act and he knows his audience. He's not ground breaking but he is funny.

I've only ever seen Andy Parsons do well. In fairness, the vast, vast majority of acts who get on these shows do so by smashing gig after gig. Everyone's stuff might not be to everyone's taste but claiming some professional comedian 'isn't funny' is exactly the same criticism as 'Cena can't wrestle'. Fucking stupid. They're provably funny, you can tell from all the people laughing.

Michael McIntyre isn't to my taste at all but he's an excellent comedian. You don't get to that level of success by not pleasing audiences .

It takes him about an hour to get the set up out. Fuck me. 

Would I Lie to You is the best panel show going , by far. Great chemistry between Brydon, David Mitchell and Lee Mack. I've never seen someone with such a quick wit as Mack does, it's quite scary.

It's funny watching David scrutinize the guests. It's amazing how funny Lee is on WILTY but when you throw him into a sitcom like Not Going Out he's fucking terrible. I don't get why the BBC recommissions that shite every year or at least make a Xmas special.

I've always liked the team of Jimmy, Sean and Jon on Cats too. 

What does Gina Yashere actually do? She seems to disappear for years, then pops up all over the place for a few weeks before buggering off again. I always get a horrible "urgh, she's back again" kind of feeling whenever she turns up. Very unfunny woman.

She's been a regular on US tv after appearing on a show called Last Comic Standing or something along those lines. She seems to split her time between here and there

Edited by WyattSheepMask