What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Comedy panel shows are the dirt fucking worst. Always amazed that people admit to liking them.

Yep. I'm sure someone like Dead Mike is in a better position to clarify, but it seems to me that panel shows are the comedy circuit these days. Whilst I'm sure they still perform st Comedy Clubs, the goal seems to be "Get on the panel show circuit, then get a slot on Michael McIntyre Presents" or whatever the fuck it's called. HIGNFY is exempt from this though, due to its longevity.

Getting on primetime TV probably triples their drawing power at the clubs, so of course it's an attractive route to take. Most people prefer to go and see someone they're familiar with, rather than take a punt on the unknown.

Oh absolutely, not begrudging then that. I wonder how many of them are good with hecklers? I imagine because they're headline acts, they have a soft audience, so to speak, and they don't have to win them over.

The other side of the coin is the likes of Mickey Flanagan, who according to Mike, is one of the best connectors to an audience.

• Paid Members

Getting a slot on a comedy panel show is the gateway to getting your own show or a live DVD. In fact I'd be hard pushed to think of someone who's managed to get a DVD released that hasn't done the panel show show route in the last decade.

• Moderators

Not really. Pretty much every person to appear on MtW has been well known by knowledgeable fans of comedy prior to their appearance. It's not as if the likes of Hugh Dennis, Gina Yashere, Rory Bremner, Ed Byrne and so on were obscure before appearing.

Not really. Pretty much every person to appear on MtW has been well known by knowledgeable fans of comedy prior to their appearance. It's not as if the likes of Hugh Dennis, Gina Yashere, Rory Bremner, Ed Byrne and so on were obscure before appearing.

I'm not talking about those comedians that people are obviously familiar with, I'm talking about guys like Ed Gamble and Sara Pascoe's boyfriend.

Edited by The Clint

Lost will always be my favourite first episode of anything. That was the first time I truly felt something epic from an opener. The first time it felt like TV was taking on movies somehow.

Obviously there are far better shows around, but for the most memorable and "oh god I HAVE to watch more" opener, it'll always be that for me.

Only just seen this post, I think LOST series 1 is probably one of the best series of anything just for the random things that came from it, flashbacks, numbers, characters, the hatch etc and the suspense between series 1 and series 2 was something else. Personally enjoyed it most of the way through but did lose its way in the last season or two. 

I've always been curious how much people get paid to be on those shows. I'm sure it varies a lot but what's a ballpark figure for someone to make for being on celebrity juice or 8 out of 10 cats does countdown or whatever?

I remember Sarah Pascoe made a passing comment on Adam Buxton's podcast that it was about £500 an episode. Not sure if thats true though. Seems about right I'd say.

• Paid Members

Few hundred quid for guests. More if you're contracted to the BBC.

Gamble's been around for what seems like ages. The Peacock and Gamble Podcast was around what, 5 or 6 years ago. It's pretty well known.

Yeah, John Robins (Sarah Pascoe's boyfriend) used to present on XFM, has a successful podcast (with Elis James) & has been around the circuit for years.

• Paid Members

I think The Clint is right about the exposure. A lot of comedians go on Mock The Week unknown to the masses and come away with a far bigger following. These guys have been paying their dues for years and will be well known to people who get out and see live comedy but to the people the Christmas DVD release is aimed at, shows like Mock, Live at the Apollo and the like are a must.

Agree with Butchi's original point too. Panel shows are dreadful for the most part and even Mock The Week, which was one of the modern ones leading the way before the formula became a fucking deathknell, is done do death.

I've just finished Fleabag at the weekend. Thought it was terrific. Really well done, great casting and acting and enjoyed each episode more than the last until the story unfolded.