AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

2 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

That Judgement Day match is absolutely bonkers. By the end both men are bleeding buckets and the entire ring canvas is completely cake in blood. I watched it recently and it's an absolutely tremendous and dramatic spectacle. JBL's best match for sure.

Understand why the blood puts people off though, it's never really bothered me personally. I love a good crimson mask (in the right match or the right reasons).

I genuinely don't think JBL was bleeding was he? Any blood on him was Eddie's blood if I remember rightly. Admittedly I haven't seen the match in years. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I genuinely don't think JBL was bleeding was he? Any blood on him was Eddie's blood if I remember rightly. Admittedly I haven't seen the match in years. 

After the DQ finish Eddie attacks him, they have an extended brawl where Eddie hits him with a chair and JBL bleeds. 

I remember there being a great picture in Powerslam the month after, where it showed the scar on Eddie's forehead. Judging from the size of the scar, I think it confirms that Eddie was not too confident in having some great matches with JBL, so thought he had to do something 'special' to make it watchable (which he did). I wonder if anyone can get that picture? He has the title belt over his shoulder and is at a press conference or something.

• Paid Members

Any blading incidents pale in comparison to the idiocy of Nigel McGuinness repeatedly headbutting the ring post for real to bust himself open against Danielson in the Liverpool Olympia. I was front row for that one, and the sound turned my stomach.

4 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Both matches would make me physically ill now. 

Me too, and fair play because I know a lot of people on here still love the blood, but it makes me queasy.

And it should right?  I mean, the problem is that there's TOO MUCH blood in AEW.  You get people bleeding nearly every week on TV, it means nothing.  There was a sweet spot a few years ago in WWE where blood was banned, so on the rare occasion they allowed blood, or someone got accidentally opened up, it was a real "oooh shit" moment.

The commentators even said this week on Dynamite "Moxley's bleeding, it's a day ending in Y".  It means nothing when he bleeds, it adds nothing to the match, it's completely pointless.

• Paid Members

Worst blade job (in terms of how sick it looked, not that it was done ineptly) I ever saw was "Playboy" Phil Bedwell (formerly Curve of the New Breed) vs. Ashe. There was a deliberate headlock spot to get the blood flowing to the face, then the spot that opened Phil up, at which point Ashe sticks Phil in a camel clutch and deliberately pulls upwards and back - and, at that, a jet of blood pisses out of Phil's forehead. Even just thinking about it makes me nauseous.

On 9/15/2023 at 5:25 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Sniff should do a Paparazzi Productions type thing and say that actually the number of tickets sold was 120,000 because some tickets were resold once or twice, this bumping up the number. 

Does Wembley even hold that many people?

(sorry for doing Reddit reference comedy)

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members
On 9/15/2023 at 7:43 PM, Carbomb said:

"Playboy" Phil Bedwell (formerly Curve of the New Breed) vs. Ashe.

Fucking hell, Power Slam flashback. Why we didn't get the pair of them wrestling the UK Pitbulls on the pre-show is beyond me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 9/14/2023 at 7:12 PM, JNLister said:

Unless Tony Khan's literally made shit up (which seems unlikely given he appears to have been very careful to pick a suitable measurement that has an accurate figure), it sounds like he's simply used the term "paid attendance" and assumed everyone understand it means "number of tickets sold" (the standard use of the term in the sport business) rather than "number of people who attended with a ticket that was paid for" (the standard use of the term by people who read words.)

That probably seems perfectly reasonable to him, but it would have been smart to say exactly what he meant by the term given it was obviously going to be analysed to death. It also means there's no way to actually say which show had the biggest attendance or sold the most tickets without making assumptions about how much to believe the respective promoters.

On 9/14/2023 at 6:16 PM, FUM said:

I think, as said in other posts, the turnstile count isn’t the full attendance due to VIP etc. and WM32 is believed to have had about 85k once the rest is counted. I’m sure I read a journo (name escapes me) report that Tony was very specifically using the word “paid” because of this as WM32 reached its attendance due to a lot more sponsors or whatever it is that tops it up.

So, using that as a guide, there is an update from Brent Council 8AA32D43-5FD2-451D-9F03-23AFF76E32F2.thumb.jpeg.d0c94614cbacc673a151b1bb7a39d26a.jpeg7EDF2673-73AF-4F00-89A0-E63A3D2FE319.thumb.jpeg.0fade15e770f76c8660949328042ebdd.jpeg

Ospreays tattoo is still wrong though