AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Frankly, why anyone so passionately gives a flying fuck about the attendance figure is beyond me. It was a massive crowd either way for a very good show, can't we just have nice things for once without arguing about the most tedious of details?

11 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

How do you think we got to 150 pages?

Yeah, absolutely the wrong thread for that suggestion. Someone's already dying to see next year's seating plan.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, FUM said:

Was it not accepted that WrestleMania 32 was a higher attendance anyway and that’s why Tony was being very specific to use the word “paid”?

This is what Wiki says about that (Spoilers as long)

Spoiler

On the day of the event, WWE claimed an attendance of 101,763[76] in the AT&T Stadium, which surpassed the previous WWE-claimed record of 93,173 for WrestleMania III in 1987. Also, WWE reported the event grossing $17.3 million for WWE's highest-grossing live event, and surpassing the previous year's $12.6 million.[76][77] However, journalist Dave Meltzer initially reported 93,730 as "the attendance as would be normally announced for an event" with a total 97,769 people in the stadium if one includes stadium personnel, WWE personnel, etc. Meltzer attributed the exaggeration due to WWE not wanting to let down their fans after WWE's promoting "from the start of drawing 100,000 people" to WrestleMania 32. The 93,730 figure would still be WWE's highest attended event, as according to Meltzer the previous record was the 1992 SummerSlam event at 79,127, while WrestleMania III did "more than 78,000".[20] Meanwhile, Meltzer endorsed the grossing figure as "either accurate or very close".[78] Meltzer would later clarify the actual fan attendance as being 80,709;[1] this figure was also supported by Fightful who were provided the turnstile count by the Arlington Police Department.[2]

In a conference call in February 2017, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon said, "We were proud to set our attendance record of over 100,000, which includes, by the way, ushers and ticket takers and all of that. It wasn't 101,000 paid, but nonetheless, it was a record for us."[7

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

This is what Wiki says about that (Spoilers as long)

Reveal hidden contents

On the day of the event, WWE claimed an attendance of 101,763[76] in the AT&T Stadium, which surpassed the previous WWE-claimed record of 93,173 for WrestleMania III in 1987. Also, WWE reported the event grossing $17.3 million for WWE's highest-grossing live event, and surpassing the previous year's $12.6 million.[76][77] However, journalist Dave Meltzer initially reported 93,730 as "the attendance as would be normally announced for an event" with a total 97,769 people in the stadium if one includes stadium personnel, WWE personnel, etc. Meltzer attributed the exaggeration due to WWE not wanting to let down their fans after WWE's promoting "from the start of drawing 100,000 people" to WrestleMania 32. The 93,730 figure would still be WWE's highest attended event, as according to Meltzer the previous record was the 1992 SummerSlam event at 79,127, while WrestleMania III did "more than 78,000".[20] Meanwhile, Meltzer endorsed the grossing figure as "either accurate or very close".[78] Meltzer would later clarify the actual fan attendance as being 80,709;[1] this figure was also supported by Fightful who were provided the turnstile count by the Arlington Police Department.[2]

In a conference call in February 2017, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon said, "We were proud to set our attendance record of over 100,000, which includes, by the way, ushers and ticket takers and all of that. It wasn't 101,000 paid, but nonetheless, it was a record for us."[7

I think, as said in other posts, the turnstile count isn’t the full attendance due to VIP etc. and WM32 is believed to have had about 85k once the rest is counted. I’m sure I read a journo (name escapes me) report that Tony was very specifically using the word “paid” because of this as WM32 reached its attendance due to a lot more sponsors or whatever it is that tops it up.

Edited by FUM

• Paid Members

Unless Tony Khan's literally made shit up (which seems unlikely given he appears to have been very careful to pick a suitable measurement that has an accurate figure), it sounds like he's simply used the term "paid attendance" and assumed everyone understand it means "number of tickets sold" (the standard use of the term in the sport business) rather than "number of people who attended with a ticket that was paid for" (the standard use of the term by people who read words.)

That probably seems perfectly reasonable to him, but it would have been smart to say exactly what he meant by the term given it was obviously going to be analysed to death. It also means there's no way to actually say which show had the biggest attendance or sold the most tickets without making assumptions about how much to believe the respective promoters.

• Paid Members

This, from All In, is the craziest blade job I’ve ever seen. Just stabbing fuck out of his own head.

I’m sure he knows what he’s doing, and you can’t argue with the results, but considering some of the mad behaviour from Punk recently, this is very on brand with, “nutter who’s completely lost his marbles.”

Extra funny to be doing that literally minutes after you’ve had a shoot fight backstage over someone else using real glass. Should’ve just repeatedly stabbed yourself in the face with a razor blade, young Jack. Like a pro. Pro-wrestling is bonkers.

• Paid Members

Punk has said in the past that he learned to blade from Harley Race, and I've noticed him doing it that way on AEW TV before. Very odd.

During the event, they changed over the ring canvas a couple of times, which I assume is something they - like WWE - do for hygiene purposes when there's been blood loss in a match. They didn't do it after Punk/Joe, which suggests to me that they had a set number of changes planned based on the matches they had authorised blading in, and Punk/Joe wasn't one of them. But then, I don't know why you'd do the "throwing him into/under the announce table" spot if not to give him the opportunity to blade away from audience view, so I'm probably reading a lot into nothing.

The damndest one I ever saw was Hogan at (I think) WM 19?  Just slashes himself hugely right across the forehead right in front of the camera.  Fair play, it's proper hardcore and he got a horrific crimson mask.

Vince at Survivor Series 2003 and Eddie at the following Judgement Day with JBL must be up there. It's crazy how I took that stuff in my stride as a teenager. Both matches would make me physically ill now. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Vince at Survivor Series 2003 and Eddie at the following Judgement Day with JBL must be up there. It's crazy how I took that stuff in my stride as a teenager. Both matches would make me physically ill now. 

That Judgement Day match is absolutely bonkers. By the end both men are bleeding buckets and the entire ring canvas is completely cake in blood. I watched it recently and it's an absolutely tremendous and dramatic spectacle. JBL's best match for sure.

Understand why the blood puts people off though, it's never really bothered me personally. I love a good crimson mask (in the right match or the right reasons).