AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

I guess if they decide to establish it as their wrestlemania I don't why they couldn't try each year. We shall see i guess how year 2 goes 

Would Wrestlemania still feel like Wrestlemania if it were in the same city each year? 

Regardless of the answer to that question, I hope this works out, it would be nice to have an annual mega-event in the UK, even if it is a little out-of-reach location wise for me.

Edited by RedRooster

1 hour ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

I guess if they decide to establish it as their wrestlemania I don't why they couldn't try each year. We shall see i guess how year 2 goes 

I think its fair to say it wasn't their Wrestlemania with how they booked it and promoted it in the build. There was very little different to any other AEW PPV beyond the size of the crowd, some extra cost into the entrances and some fireworks.

It doesn't look like they're going to be touring the UK in the WWE/TNA way. If they get 50,000+ from one night on PPV with premium pricing instead of a week of touring they'll be better off.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

I think its fair to say it wasn't their Wrestlemania with how they booked it and promoted it in the build.

They definitely need to keep talking about it as if it's the most important show all year round like mania if they want to run it every year IMO. If you can convince the audience it's mania special regardless of the card it will sell every year. If they do what they did last time and only talk about it a month before then they are in trouble long term.

The actual card doesn't really matter as long as they put on a hell of a show. Which they usually do. Something like this needs to be built around a brand. All In/Wembley needs to be the selling point because AEW PPVs are uniformly good wrestling shows and tickets need to be sold so far in advance that they can't really start the build.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I could see how this would work. The Jaguars play every year at Wembley, successfully, so I can see why they are going for this. Whether they can shift over 50k tickets each year will be the big test for them.

The NFL is a very different beast Scorchio. The first games in Germany this year had 1.2 million people trying to buy tickets for them when they went on sale. They sold out in minutes. The London games always sell out. The NFL is a marketing juggernaut. AEW has already shown the law of diminishing returns at Arthur Ashe. I'm not saying they can't do big numbers at Wembley every year, but precedent would suggest otherwise. 

• Paid Members

They did pretty well with the buyrate, although they need to have some decent build next year with a few marquee matches.

> ALL IN HITS 200,000 BUYS

- AEW President Tony Khan said in a media call promoting Full Gear that the All In pay-per-view in London, England drew 200,000 buys, which is the second-best number in the company's history. The number is just 5,000 buys shy of the record, which is All Out in 2021 which featured the first match of CM Punk. The 200,000 number is an even-more fantastic number when you take into consideration that the show started early afternoon on the East Coast and in the morning on the West Coast. AEW returns to Wembley Stadium in August 2024 for another All In show. Tickets for this show go on sale on December 1.

(Source: Wrestling-Online Newsletter)

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The NFL is a very different beast Scorchio. The first games in Germany this year had 1.2 million people trying to buy tickets for them when they went on sale. They sold out in minutes. The London games always sell out. The NFL is a marketing juggernaut. AEW has already shown the law of diminishing returns at Arthur Ashe. I'm not saying they can't do big numbers at Wembley every year, but precedent would suggest otherwise. 

Oh some of that I agree with. But again the difference here is you want to see AEW? Unless you fly to America this is your only chance. Which is the same with the NFL games. You can’t compare Arthur Ashe to Wembley because AEW run various events around the New York area each year. Arthur Ashe also cost much more this year than last year. So if Wembley can keep tickets a similar price, I reckon they could do well. I don’t think they are in a position to top this years All In, but they could definitely do well still.